Skip to main content

The Page Can Not Be Displayed

More
20 years 2 months ago #2647 by chandak76
Hi,I connected my laptop to a network and can surf the net without a problem via a proxy,but when I try to surf the net using my dial up at home I seem to get this message "the page can not be displayed".I've tried to remove the proxy settings and set up everything as it was before connecting using a proxy.
:cry:
More
20 years 2 months ago #2648 by sahirh
Isolate whether you are having connectivity trouble or HTTP trouble. Drop to a dos box and try and ping and tracert a remote server.. if that seems to work fine, they problem lies in your proxy settings.

Make sure you've removed the proxy settings in IE and that you've turned off the 'automatically detect proxy settings' or similar option that I know they have somewhere in there.

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
More
20 years 2 months ago #2649 by chandak76
Hi,it seems to be an http problem,i've done everything you suggested bot still get the error.I can connect and when i ping everything seems ok.
More
20 years 2 months ago #2650 by Jack
ChanDak76 –

If DOS works and the web browser is not then the next step would be to try a different web browser or reinstall your TCP/IP stack.

But one nagging question remains, you can connect every time to the network does it work even after what was suggested? If yes then you have not successfully cleaned out the Proxy settings, may be something hard coded in the registry?? Is ICS involved anywhere?

Please describe your environment a little more if you can please.

Jack Burgess,
Firewall.cx Staff
News Editor / Forum Moderator
www.jacksjunk.com
More
20 years 2 months ago #2708 by UHSsncmrm
Ping a site at home, it should return an IP, now trace to the IP, you should reach it, now explore the ping command with the -f option (don't fragment) and set ping packets progressively larger, you may turn something up, on the packet level as far as MTU disparity btwn work and home (longshot) Something at work may set the don't fragment bit and MTU in the registry?

Sounds like Jack is right though, you're still looking for a default gtwy or proxy/firewall that isn't in the mix for your home HTTP traffic.

A scapegoat is often as welcome as a solution...never memorize what you can look up.
Time to create page: 0.147 seconds