Skip to main content

Two Small Business Servers using same router?

More
16 years 1 week ago #25860 by aswilbourn
Hi all! Wondering if anyone can help. The company I work for has 2 Servers running small business Server 2003. They are both on different domains as SBS cannot have multiple domain controllers.

Network A has around 12 PCs and the SBS server connected to a switch which in turn is connected to the Internet router.

Network B has just 1 PC and 1 server running SBS connected together via a switch box.

The question is how do I connect Network B to the router on network A to grant it internet access? Or is this even possible?

Network A Server IP: 192.168.16.2
Network A Subnet: 255.255.255.0

Network B Server IP: 81.138.104.11 (Network B server has had DHCP disabled and is on subnet 255.255.252.0)

Any help very much appreciated!
Thanks
More
16 years 1 week ago #25861 by Elohim
You will need to RE-IP network B because it has a public IP address. I'm assuming you don't have any more ports on the router to connect the switch that network B is on? Can you create vlans on switch 1 (network A)? If you can, just create another VLAN on switch 1 (network A switch) and move the second server into it assuming your router can do router on a stick. Do you really need to keep those two separate? Why not just put all of those into one subnetwork?

Hi all! Wondering if anyone can help. The company I work for has 2 Servers running small business Server 2003. They are both on different domains as SBS cannot have multiple domain controllers.

Network A has around 12 PCs and the SBS server connected to a switch which in turn is connected to the Internet router.

Network B has just 1 PC and 1 server running SBS connected together via a switch box.

The question is how do I connect Network B to the router on network A to grant it internet access? Or is this even possible?

Network A Server IP: 192.168.16.2
Network A Subnet: 255.255.255.0

Network B Server IP: 81.138.104.11 (Network B server has had DHCP disabled and is on subnet 255.255.252.0)

Any help very much appreciated!
Thanks

More
16 years 1 week ago #25862 by aswilbourn
Thanks for the reply. You will have to forgive my lack of network knowledge as I use to be involved in MS Office product and only touched on Network Administration and never had to setup networks only add PCs users to existing.

So firstly when you say I need to change the public IP address on the server does it matter what I change it to? As long as it does not conflict with network A?

When you say do I need to keep the networks seperate. I thought I did due to SBS only allowing 1 SBS server to run on an SBS network.

I know Im pretty much asking for a step by step guide but Ive spent 7 hours trying to sort this out and Im going mad!
More
16 years 1 week ago #25870 by Elohim
I don't know anything about SBS but why should SBS care about being in the same subnetwork as the other SBS as long as they are not in the same AD? Or am I missing this upper layer stuff here.

Your network B has a public IP address.

> server 4.2.2.2
Default Server: vnsc-bak.sys.gtei.net
Address: 4.2.2.2

> 81.138.104.11
Server: vnsc-bak.sys.gtei.net
Address: 4.2.2.2

Name: host81-138-104-11.in-addr.btopenworld.com
Address: 81.138.104.11

>

If you are saying that the server in network B needs internet access, the above address isn't you. You should change it to a private address, defined in RFC 1918.

Easiest thing to do, move it into the same switch as the other SBS server, assign an IP address from that subnetwork.

I don't know much about SBS but I don't believe you have to virtually segment the two SBS servers.

Thanks for the reply. You will have to forgive my lack of network knowledge as I use to be involved in MS Office product and only touched on Network Administration and never had to setup networks only add PCs users to existing.

So firstly when you say I need to change the public IP address on the server does it matter what I change it to? As long as it does not conflict with network A?

When you say do I need to keep the networks seperate. I thought I did due to SBS only allowing 1 SBS server to run on an SBS network.

I know Im pretty much asking for a step by step guide but Ive spent 7 hours trying to sort this out and Im going mad!

More
13 years 7 months ago #35538 by stevephillips79
Hi,
In Small business network help,accessing multiple routers. And also One notebook in the same room as the router.

Earn an Extra $1000 to $1200 per month doing Part Time Data Entry Jobs! Work from home data entry jobs to post simple data submissions on Internet. Make $1 per entry. Easy form filling, data entry and ad posting jobs. No selling, No phone calls, No Marketing. No Investment. Bi-weekly payments. Full Training Provided. Pls visit: Data-Entry  
Time to create page: 0.147 seconds