Skip to main content

Two NIC setup

More
16 years 2 months ago #25333 by GTM
Two NIC setup was created by GTM
Hi Guys,

I work for a company that has 3rd party support. The issue i face is a disagrement over 2nd NIC's installation. Basially we are (or sorry i am) having issues with the 3rd party company over 2nd NIC allocation.

To break things down they are saying that with 2nd NICS installed we are creating confusion with name resolution on the network ie DNS/WINS whereas i am saying that the dual NIC's dont mean a thing as by layer 2 networking and arp caching the switches will know where to forward the requests and that on the second NIC's i am not telling it not to update dns or turning off dns dynamic updates.

Am I correct or do i face eating humble pie please advise :lol:
More
16 years 2 months ago #25334 by GTM
Replied by GTM on topic Re: Two NIC setup
sorry i meant not to update via dhcp
More
16 years 2 months ago #25336 by DaLight
Replied by DaLight on topic Re: Two NIC setup
I wonder if they're just applying Murphy's Law and assuming that some of the 2nd NICs will inevitably be misconfigured resulting in more support calls ...
More
16 years 2 months ago #25341 by S0lo
Replied by S0lo on topic Re: Two NIC setup
So, is DHCP is actually working with you now. i.e do you get an IP on both NICs or one of them or none?

Studying CCNP...

Ammar Muqaddas
Forum Moderator
www.firewall.cx
More
16 years 2 months ago #25351 by TheBishop
Replied by TheBishop on topic Re: Two NIC setup
I use several Windows 2003 servers with dual NICs with no problem. However I can see thier point; mine were set up with just one NIC active at first and joined into the domain etc, then the second NIC (with a different IP address and only bog-basic IP bound to it) was plugged in. So the domain 'knows' the server by the first IP address on the first card and always uses that to communicate with it. Plus you should only have a default gateway set up on one of the two cards or the OS might get confused. You can have static routes on both if you need to, but only the one default gateway
Time to create page: 0.149 seconds