Skip to main content

Cable Tester

More
16 years 2 months ago #25181 by toddwoo
Cable Tester was created by toddwoo
Hope this is the right place for this...

I need some help/guidance on getting a network tester/toner. I've worked with a few pretty crappy ones.. and had one good one.. that I can't find for sale anywhere...!!!

What cable testers/toner dose everyone recommend? I don't need a uber fancy, feature packed tester. I just need something to tell me if a cable is good.. if its not why and a reasonable tone ability.

Siemon's STM-8 looks nice, good features.. but no toner...
IntelliTone by Fluke looks like it might fit the bill.. but petty expensive and looks a little over simplified.

Any help?
More
16 years 2 months ago #25205 by TheBishop
Replied by TheBishop on topic Re: Cable Tester
The Fluke stuff is really good but as you say expensive. If you can afford the cost you won't go far wrong with it
More
16 years 1 month ago #25572 by pdjbarber
Replied by pdjbarber on topic Re: Cable Tester
www.dooyoo.co.uk/network-accessories/microtest-microscanner/

I use one of these, and have been very pleased with it
More
16 years 1 month ago #25574 by jstretch
Replied by jstretch on topic Re: Cable Tester
While it can be difficult to justify the high cost of some tools, experience shows that you can save hundreds of potential hours spent troubleshooting if you have an adequate toolbox. Personally, I use a Fluke Microscanner2 for cable testing/toning (~$400), a Tempo/Blackbox 200EP inductive amp (tone probe) (~$50), and Jensen crimpers (~$40). Not cheap, but they're reliable and will last a long time.

If you're trying to convince your employer to purchase tools for you, demonstrate the potential savings in man-hours. For example, if a $400 cable tester can save an admin working at $30/hr roughly an hour of work every day, the tester has paid for itself in less than two weeks.
More
16 years 1 month ago #25594 by toddwoo
Replied by toddwoo on topic Re: Cable Tester
More
16 years 1 month ago #25597 by skepticals
Replied by skepticals on topic Re: Cable Tester
How is it?
Time to create page: 0.139 seconds