Skip to main content

internet connection sharing

More
16 years 4 months ago #24377 by sose
2. I was reviewing the internet connection sharing in microsoft knowledge base, the I came across this statement

"Do not use Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) in a network with other domain controllers, DNS servers, gateways,
DHCP servers, or systems configured for static IP."

pls could someone shed more light on this statement plus I thought one can run network setup winzard on systems configured for static IP and later choose assign IP manually

thanks

sose
registered since 2006
More
16 years 4 months ago #24393 by toddwoo
ICS wants to set the machine its running on as a dns server and gateway for the systems connecting to it. If your network already has this configuration going out through DHCP or some other means there could be some confusion. ICS was really created for small personal networks. Not for larger scale networks that have DHCP and DNS servers.
More
16 years 4 months ago #24407 by Brandonh
Replied by Brandonh on topic ICS
If you choose to use ICS it will automatically assign IP adresses starting in the low range in the 192.168.0.0/24. One interface will receive a public IP address from your Isp and the other Interface a private ip 192.168.0.1 .If you have another dhcp server or static configured IP addresses you also could have IP conflics. Also if you have other gateways or routers you will not beable to use them. ICS is restricted to that one IP address range and everythign points to the ICS server. So if you need to get to other private networks you will have issues. It may be a choice If you just have a modem and no router and you need a small amount of computers to connect to the internet.
Time to create page: 0.141 seconds