Skip to main content

double internet service providers... one network...

More
16 years 6 months ago #23675 by talk2sp
hi all i dont knw if i am correct but i still felt i should ask the "guruz"

>
We just changed our service providers to a VSAT network but the network after paying a huge amount of money gets really bad (due to their inconsistency). so my boss asked me if its possible to use another ISP together wiith this vsat at the same time and immediately i said no. but i still felt i should ask here cos nothing is impossible on this site.

right now on my network i have a link sys wrt54gc wireless router which is directly connected to the internet modem and from the link sys router to the DLINK 24 port 10/100 switch...

my question now is -

1. If we have to use another service together with this how will it work (thats if its possible).

2. How will the connection be done / implemented.

Note

In my own opinion i knw 2 can be used but one after the other may be when one network is down u put the other to the router and reconfigure.. i want to knw if the 2 can be used at the same time..

i just hope to get the best from this post.. and not get the case of - It's over, man. Let her go

BORN TO BE GREAT

c0de - 3
Take Responsibility! Don't let failures define you
More
16 years 6 months ago #23678 by Elohim
If you have soho equipments, you can get dual wan devices. If you are using enterprise class equipment, you can load balance a routing protocol, using something like Cisco's GLBP if you have cisco equipments, do load balancing over statics...

if you don't want to do load balancing, you can do traffic classication, and move some traffic over one link and other traffic over the other link. You will need routers that is capable of policy maps to do this.

>
We just changed our service providers to a VSAT network but the network after paying a huge amount of money gets really bad (due to their inconsistency). so my boss asked me if its possible to use another ISP together wiith this vsat at the same time and immediately i said no. but i still felt i should ask here cos nothing is impossible on this site.

right now on my network i have a link sys wrt54gc wireless router which is directly connected to the internet modem and from the link sys router to the DLINK 24 port 10/100 switch...

my question now is -

1. If we have to use another service together with this how will it work (thats if its possible).

Note

In my own opinion i knw 2 can be used but one after the other may be when one network is down u put the other to the router and reconfigure.. i want to knw if the 2 can be used at the same time..

i just hope to get the best from this post.. and not get the case of - It's over, man. Let her go

More
16 years 3 months ago #24773 by SmartDude

If you have soho equipments, you can get dual wan devices. If you are using enterprise class equipment, you can load balance a routing protocol, using something like Cisco's GLBP if you have cisco equipments, do load balancing over statics...

if you don't want to do load balancing, you can do traffic classication, and move some traffic over one link and other traffic over the other link. You will need routers that is capable of policy maps to do this.

That was really nice explanation, i also need to do the same which i quoted. Do i really need router for moving some traffic over one link and other traffic over the other link ? Can't i use LINUX for this purpose ?
I wanted to move web traffic from one link and VOIP traffic from another link, what are the things required for this purpose? can somebody point me to right direction? I already have Bandwidth shaper configured and working...

>

my question now is -

Note

Share the Knowledge, make a master being a Master...
Best Regards,
SmartDude
More
16 years 3 months ago #24820 by BLacqWyng
Actually you could use Linux (or any other round robin capable addressing) At a former project there was 4 separate ISP lines... setback is its not session aware, so when lines go down it wont swap over to another line. More interesting will be how to get the providers to advertise your own network subnet (if applicable) 8)
More
16 years 3 months ago #24862 by talk2sp
Replied by talk2sp on topic nice replies..... but
thanks guys for the replies.

i will try and put up a freehand sketch or wat i think, and how i think it will work. and also raise questions. (statement of research problem).

cheers guys till then.

BORN TO BE GREAT

c0de - 3
Take Responsibility! Don't let failures define you
Time to create page: 0.147 seconds