Skip to main content

Network Design Help

More
17 years 1 month ago #20425 by r4v3n
Network Design Help was created by r4v3n
Hi,

I'm trying to change the setup at work from a workgroup to a domain environment. I have a win2003 server (dual NIC cards), which i plan to make the Domain Controller.

My network setup at the moment is very simple with 8 workstations, 2 wireless users and 1 printer.

Here is a diagram of the existing network :

img459.imageshack.us/img459/2843/networkdj4.jpg

Could someone please tell me how i need to change this existing setup, to sucessfully migrate to a DC environment ?
More
17 years 1 month ago #20428 by S0lo
Replied by S0lo on topic Re: Network Design Help
If you type "dcpromo" on a command prompt on your server, the wizard for converting to DC will start. But, I really recommend that you have a good understanding of the issues involved in DCs and Active Directory before you proceed.

Studying CCNP...

Ammar Muqaddas
Forum Moderator
www.firewall.cx
More
16 years 11 months ago #22199 by junaidjan
Replied by junaidjan on topic Network Design
Hi!!!

As i have gone thru the ntwork diagram.. Everything is perfect.. Just run DCPROMO as suggested by solo.. Be a bit careful while dealing with DNS in DCPROMO wizard.. Let it install DNS... There is no need to install DHCP as it is on Router.. The DNS which is on DC will act as internal DNS for users and the DNS on Router will act as External... Now you can create users on DC(Active Directory) and u r done!!!!

Junaid
More
16 years 10 months ago #22209 by anti-hack
Replied by anti-hack on topic Re: Network Design Help
Run "dcpromo.exe", yes. But you have to define a scope in your DHCP for the users, as the Domain Controller and the DNS require a static IP address. The range that you exclude from the DHCP will help you in the future for you Email Server and Proxy Server etc. if you wanna add , if you already don't have them.

The rest should not be a problem.
More
16 years 10 months ago #22211 by Smurf
Replied by Smurf on topic Re: Network Design Help
I would personally set the DNS Server to forward all external requests to your ISP's DNS Server. The clients will only need to set their primary dns to the Windows DNS Server.

Wayne Murphy
Firewall.cx Team Member
www.firewall.cx

Now working for a Security Company called Sec-1 Ltd in the UK, for any
Penetration Testing work visit www.sec-1.com or PM me for details.
Time to create page: 0.149 seconds