Skip to main content

MPLS / Frame

More
18 years 4 months ago #12058 by susetechie
MPLS / Frame was created by susetechie
Hi All,

As I get more into my current network configs, I notice that we are using PPP over ATM with MPLS VPN in some places and PPP over ATM with Frame Relay in some places, along with a point-to-point over Frame. Can someone please tell me the major differences here? more so between the mpls vpn and the frame.

Thanks

"Go away or I will replace you with a very small shell script"
More
18 years 4 months ago #12077 by nske
Replied by nske on topic Re: MPLS / Frame
I don't have any practical experience with these technologies, however the following papers explain well the theoritical part.

nske.hackbox.gr/misc/frompls.pdf
nske.hackbox.gr/misc/fr-mpls.pdf
nske.hackbox.gr/misc/downing-mpls.pdf

Perhaps someone who has worked with them is kind enough to summarize a few things about their implementation :)
More
18 years 4 months ago #12471 by UHSsncmrm
Replied by UHSsncmrm on topic Re: MPLS / Frame
MPLS is a packet-switching technology that allws for any to any connectivity and QOS tagging, Frame on the otherhand needs multiple PVCs on each endpoint to allow any to any connectivity without going through the hub node which increases latency. This can become quite pricey when paying for pvcs to each node in network ON each node in network.

MPLS is truly a step towards pure IP networking whereby the transport gives no consideration to traffic type other than IP addressing and QOS tagging to protect sensitive traffic types.

:arrow: IMHO

A scapegoat is often as welcome as a solution...never memorize what you can look up.
Time to create page: 0.142 seconds