Skip to main content

Flat Networks Vs Segmented Networks !!

More
18 years 7 months ago #10190 by Tarun
Wow, that was good "jwj" .

Now its crystal clear beyond any doubts ;)

Flat Network = One big broadcast domain ( No Routers )

Segmented Networks = Differrent Broadcast domains. ( With Routers )

Thanks ...

Next would be SP (Service Provider)
CCNA, CCNP (Switching), CCIE#20640
More
18 years 7 months ago #10198 by TheBishop
Replied by TheBishop on topic Flat Network
Sorry if I confused you Tarun, I was trying to make it clearer, honest! jwj is spot on with the definition as usual; what I was trying to explain is that some people interpret a flat network in a slightly different way, i.e. from a physical topology viewpoint without considering the broadcast domain at all. That doesn't make them right, but it helps to be aware of what others might be thinking when they say (or print in books) the things they come out with
More
18 years 7 months ago #10205 by tsunami
Hi Folks!!

People often say that the bridge and the switch do the same functions, Bridge is software and swicth is hardware etc..

However, one major difference between a bridge and a switch is Switch uses the same data link layer protocol say Ethernet but using a bridge we can combine two data link layer technologies, example token ring and ethernet.. also wireless and ethernet.
Effectively they can be in the same network which means they can have a single broadcast domain.

This suggests that the network can also be segmented at layer2.
if feel the definition by Google for flat and segment networks quoted by Tarun is absolutely valid
Correct me if i am wrong!

regards
More
18 years 7 months ago #10207 by TheBishop
Replied by TheBishop on topic Bridge
Good point tsunami. One place I used to work had a Token Ring backbone with some locations having Token Ring LANs and some Ethernet. They used hardware bridges off the backbone at each location. Nowadays you can of course get switches that will happily accept say an Ethernet module and an FDDI module so again the distinction begins to get a little blurred
Time to create page: 0.133 seconds