Skip to main content

Windows Port Forwarding

More
20 years 1 month ago #2942 by Neon
Windows Port Forwarding was created by Neon
I don't know how many of you run Windows as an internet gateway (I know I have to for technical reasons) and one thing that I wanted was to forward ports. I searched a bit and finally came up with this great program:

NetworkActiv AUTAPF 1.0

Its freeware and TOOO easy to use, allows advanced IP filtering so you can change what IP addresses to allow or deny. Great little program...

Thought I should share the wealth :)

Finally I can now send stuff through mIRC :wink:
More
20 years 1 month ago #2945 by sahirh
Replied by sahirh on topic Re: Windows Port Forwarding
Ohhh very nice ! Now someone find me a good SSH server for windows (yes I know there are cygwin ports).. I'm currently using a program called Foxit WACserver which is pretty nice but only allows two simultaneous connections...

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
More
20 years 1 month ago #2975 by Jack
Replied by Jack on topic Re: Windows Port Forwarding
Have you tried Putty? www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/
I personal have not used it but I know a few people who do and the rave about it.

Jack Burgess,
Firewall.cx Staff
News Editor / Forum Moderator
www.jacksjunk.com
More
19 years 3 months ago #6919 by Lindows
Replied by Lindows on topic Little help
I don't to sound slow, but what is Port forwarding. I never caught the concept. Anyhelp would be appreciated.
More
19 years 3 months ago #6921 by sahirh
Replied by sahirh on topic Re: Windows Port Forwarding
Port forwarding is basically that you connect to a port on the gateway machine and it automatically forwards you to aother port on another system.. its useful for security and for natting.

SSH portforwarding is more complex, featuring both local and remote port forwarding via encrypted tunnels, you can read the openssh website description since they have pretty pictures explaining it.

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
More
19 years 3 months ago #6922 by nske
Replied by nske on topic Re: Windows Port Forwarding
Port forwarding is as simple as following:
[code:1]
[ INTERNET ] [ PRIVATE NETWORK ]
CLIENT
> 193.1.2.3 : 80
> 10.26.122.27 : 80
[/code:1]

So a connection from a client in 64.92.162.82, port 80 will transparently be forwarded to the 10.26.122.27, port 80, that is a host of a private lan that does not have an interface to the internet (which makes sense in many topologies). Obviously 193.1.2.3 should also have an interface on the Private Network to be able to contact and forward.

Of course there is no reason of why it can not be
[ INTERNET ]
CLIENT
> 193.1.2.3 : 80
> 193.1.2.4 : 666[/code:1]

or

[ PRIVATE LAN ]
CLIENT
> 10.26.122.27 : 666
> 10.26.122.27 : 80 [/code:1]

or anything else.. ;)

[EDIT: Whops Sahirh I didn't see your post.. Had open the browser tab for a while :)]
Time to create page: 0.155 seconds