Skip to main content

RJ11 to RJ45

More
17 years 5 months ago #17879 by krisby
RJ11 to RJ45 was created by krisby
Hi Guys.
Does anyone know if it possible to purchase a RJ11 to RJ45 adapter?

For those who are curious why I need one, this is why.
I have a wireless router that I need to install in an area on the 3rd floor of a building. The actual ADSL line is situated on the ground floor. From ground floor I have a patch panel with CAT5e cables terminating to the 3rd floor. I want to connect ADSL line to RJ11-RJ45 convertor to Patchpanel. I will then connect a Cat5e cable to the 3rd floor data port and use a RJ11-RJ45 convertor to connect the cable to the wireless router.
I believe this should work, please let me know if anyone has any doubts and whether a rj11 to rj45 adapater actually exists.

Cheers,
Kris
More
17 years 5 months ago #17881 by Bublitz
Replied by Bublitz on topic Re: RJ11 to RJ45
Rj-11 male can already plug into rj-45 female (jack) since they work together just fine there is no adapter.

Don't you need a DSL modem? Or is this a dsl "modem"/wireless router combo?

So on the ground floor wire your cat5e with a rj-45 jack then plug in the rj-11 into the jack. At the top floor do the same and plug your rj-11 from the rj-45 jack into the modem/wireless router.

The Bublitz
Systems Admin
Hospice of the Red River Valley
More
17 years 5 months ago #17885 by Rockape
Replied by Rockape on topic Re: RJ11 to RJ45
Hi, if I read this right, you want an RJ11 (small) connection into an RJ45 (data/telephone) connection. Yes there are ways you can do this. The easiest is to go to any computer shop. The RJ11 lead is the "telephone" connection at the back of a PC. So, you can usually get a connection that will go from there to the Phone socket. In addition, you can get "converters that will do the same job, and they don't cost much. If you can't find them in the computer shop, go on line and you should be able to get them quite easily.

Hope that helps

Rockape
More
17 years 5 months ago #17886 by Smurf
Replied by Smurf on topic Re: RJ11 to RJ45
nnbnb

Rj-11 male can already plug into rj-45 female (jack) since they work together just fine there is no adapter.

Not too sure if thats correct ? RJ11 are smaller connectors then RJ45. www.blinn.edu/acadtech/resnet/cable.htm

Cheers

Wayne Murphy
Firewall.cx Team Member
www.firewall.cx

Now working for a Security Company called Sec-1 Ltd in the UK, for any
Penetration Testing work visit www.sec-1.com or PM me for details.
More
17 years 5 months ago #17905 by Rockape
Replied by Rockape on topic Re: RJ11 to RJ45
Smurf,

You are right, an RJ11 is indeed a smaller connector than and RJ45. That's why I was double checking, but you can get adapters for this from most PC shops etc.

Cheers

Rockape
More
17 years 5 months ago #17915 by dchri
Replied by dchri on topic Re: RJ11 to RJ45
nnbnb

Not too sure if thats correct ? RJ11 are smaller connectors then RJ45. www.blinn.edu/acadtech/resnet/cable.htm

Cheers

Try it ... It works ....

"The distance between genius and insanity is measured only by success." --
Time to create page: 0.155 seconds