Hot Downloads



The forum is in read only mode.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:
  • 1


What is it called when a switch acts like a hub? 9 years 2 months ago #37605

What is it called when you setup a switch so that it acts like a hub?

Isn't there a mode like that? So you can watch packets are they're sent to the other machines?

Re: What is it called when a switch acts like a hub? 9 years 2 months ago #37610

It's called port mirroring. Some manufacturers also refer to this as SPAN ports but it's the same thing. On Cisco devices you issue the monitor session command twice to set this up. The first command sets up the source - which can be a VLAN or an individual port - and the second command sets up the destination (which has to be a specified port. Once you've done this you can plug your analyser into the destination port and watch all the traffic being handled by the source (you can specify inbound, outbound or both in the command). Note though that the destination port will not provide any other connectivity while the monitor session is in effect; all you can do on that port is sniff
The following user(s) said Thank You: next_virus, leeand00
  • Page:
  • 1
Time to create page: 0.100 seconds


Cisco Routers

  • SSL WebVPN
  • Securing Routers
  • Policy Based Routing
  • Router on-a-Stick

VPN Security

  • Understand DMVPN
  • GRE/IPSec Configuration
  • Site-to-Site IPSec VPN
  • IPSec Modes

Cisco Help

  • VPN Client Windows 8
  • VPN Client Windows 7
  • CCP Display Problem
  • Cisco Support App.

Windows 2012

  • New Features
  • Licensing
  • Hyper-V / VDI
  • Install Hyper-V


  • File Permissions
  • Webmin
  • Groups - Users
  • Samba Setup