Notice

The forum is in read only mode.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Need a recommendation for a router and an IPS

Need a recommendation for a router and an IPS 4 years 8 months ago #38436

Sup guys,

Im planning my new home network and i need to find a good router to provide load balancing, NAT and Inter Vlan Routing. And also an IPS that will handle the traffic.
In terms of budger, i prefer to get quality from cisco than shit from 3com.
In other words, i will invest in the hardware if its worth it.
The main uses of this network will be small server hosting and high speed downloads.
The modems are 100/3mbit DL/UL each.

The basic idea is that the network will look like this:

Thanks guys

Need a recommendation for a router and an IPS 4 years 4 months ago #38470

Check out pfsense. It has all these features and you can even do support though the makers at good rates.

Need a recommendation for a router and an IPS 4 years 4 months ago #38477

• Chris
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 13
einklienermench,

Did you end up implementing this scenario? We would love to have an update on it!

Chris.

Need a recommendation for a router and an IPS 4 years 2 months ago #38519

Chris!

First of all, i have to thank you for all your hard work on this awesome website, i learned allot from this resource and its really not known well enough for its value.

Second of all, i ended up purchasing allot of equipment and the network these days looks very different. I didn't implement this dual ISP Scenario because its just not worth it for the bandwidth that one would get.
This home net/lab is used for my CCNP and MCSE studies with visualization in mind (hence the 12 core server)

Did some ebay shopping (no wife to boss me around :laugh: )
cisco 2960G-24TC-L for 350$ (had to pay for gigabit)
cisco 3750-24TS-S for 100$ (an epic deal)
cisco ips 4240 (for 200$!!! insane find)
dell r210-ii (xeon e3-1230v1 + 16gb ram+ dual 500gb sata drives) 250$
dell r410 (dual xeon x5660 + 32gb ram + 4x 450gb cheetah 15.7k) 200$ (a medium sized company owed me money for services and payed with this -valued at around 2.5k$)
cisco pix 515e - 35$
cisco 7401ASR - 65$
cisco 501 content media engine (celeron 2.4ghz) (syslog/scp/ftp/tftp + tacacs server)

I connected everything using a star topology with everything that absolutely needs to have gigabit (the servers have 4x1gbe nics each) and all management and non essentially-gigabit links to the 3750 as access vlan traffic.

I know that star topology means 0 redundancy and i bought an RPS 675 just in case anything happens to the switch power supplies.

The network is connected to the edge using a 7401ASR+PXF+SA-VAM, it pushes around 220Mbit/s using PAT.
The network edge is protected with the PIX 515E (will upgrade the cpu to a 1GHz sometime next month-will post pics!)
The cream of the crop is that 3750, it has 2 SFP ports that move traffic towards the edge through a series of QOS rules.

Toughs? :)

EDIT:
Found a diagram, not very recent but captures the idea.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.149 seconds

CCENT/CCNA

Cisco Routers

• SSL WebVPN
  • Securing Routers
  • Policy Based Routing
  • Router on-a-Stick

VPN Security

• Understand DMVPN
  • GRE/IPSec Configuration
  • Site-to-Site IPSec VPN