Skip to main content

weird windows DOS problem:

More
18 years 10 months ago #8687 by eddydreni
Okay, this may seem strange but, I like to use the CMD prompt that comes with windows and usally, when I type, ping IP or ipconfig information would come up, however, something has happend, everytime I try using one of these commands, I get the following error:

C:\Documents and Settings\Eddy Dreni>ipconfig
'ipconfig' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\Documents and Settings\Eddy Dreni>help
'help' is not recognized as an internal or external command,

C:\Documents and Settings\Eddy Dreni>ping
'ping' is not recognized as an internal or external command,

etc..

I have no idea whats wrong with it, i even tried replacing the CMD.EXE in windows\sytem32 and it still does the same thing :(
More
18 years 10 months ago #8688 by jhun
Replied by jhun on topic Re: weird windows DOS problem:
have you tried accessing the command tool on the folder where it is installed?.. (%system root%/system32/cmd.exe). a similar case happened once and i found out that the cmd command type at the "Run prompt" was not mapped to the command tool where it is located. the one that is being used is somewhat an impostor of the original cmd.exe thus not being able to execute tasks native to cmd.exe.

you could also try running cmd.exe on the Run prompt and when given the C: prompt, change the directory to C:\Windows\System32\> then try ipconfig, ping, etc.
More
18 years 10 months ago #8689 by Chris
...And along with all that ... I'd perform an anti-spyware and anti-virus scan just to be on the safe side!

Cheers,

Chris Partsenidis.
Founder & Editor-in-Chief
www.Firewall.cx
More
18 years 10 months ago #8691 by eddydreni
Something is messed up in one the variables, I can only run the commands if I'm in the system32 folder. Weird..

thanks for the help anyway, I'll just a shortcut to the folder for now
More
18 years 10 months ago #8692 by MezzUp
Changing your 'path' variable might do the trick. Instructions for Win2k:
Right click My Computer -> Properties -> Advanced -> Enviorment Variables -> under 'System Variables' add or edit 'Path' to include %SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;
More
18 years 10 months ago #8719 by beexo
What if you login as another user (such as admin). Will that not work?
Time to create page: 0.149 seconds