Skip to main content

VPN SETUP

More
19 years 9 months ago #4356 by q
VPN SETUP was created by q
Hi Guys,

Can someone help me towards setting a VPN. What I need to do is access a local private LAN over the internet from my laptop. The end result should allow me to see all my local LAN computers when I go to network neighbourhood on my VPN client. I should also be able to access the shared network drives. Is this possible? and if so can someone direct me to a link or give advice??

Many Thanks
Q
More
19 years 9 months ago #4362 by TheBishop
Replied by TheBishop on topic VPN
What's the OS on your laptop? VPN support is built in with XP and it's quite easy to set up
More
19 years 9 months ago #4368 by q
Replied by q on topic Re: VPN SETUP
The Bishop,

This is mt setup. I have five p.c's at home networked all using the router as a default gateway to get out to the internet. 2 of these machines are windows 2000 and the other three are windows 98. All 5 machines use private ip address. The router has the one static public ip address.

I have two laptops, one with xp and one with windows 2000. As I travel quite a lot I would like to be able to access my home p.c's from wherever I am. Ideally I would like to see them in my network places as I do when the laptops are connected locally to my home network, thus being able to use all shared resources wherever I am.

Any Help Much Appreciated
Q
More
19 years 9 months ago #4371 by TheBishop
Replied by TheBishop on topic VPN
I get the picture now I think
Firstly, setting up a VPN client on your laptops shouldn't be too much of a problem. It's the home network that is going to be the issue. A VPN lets you tunnel your private IP address range across the public internet. So to achieve that you will need a machine at home to form the 'home' end of the VPN tunnel and it will need to have a public i.e. genuine internet routable IP address. It doesn't sound as if your setup can provide that as it stands. You might be able to change something in your router config/NAT settings to have a public IP address on one of your machines (mine has this rather odd facility). Or you might be able to use port forwarding to 'route' traffic destined for a particular TCP port on your router's address to a specified port on one of your private addressed machines
More
19 years 9 months ago #4379 by MaXiMuS
Replied by MaXiMuS on topic Re: VPN SETUP
you could set up a VPN tunnel if your router supports vpn cabalities.Which router are you using?? If its a cisco model , let me know the model and the current IOS..also the RAM and flash..i'll see if i can find an IOS which u can upgrade to ..i.e. if your router does not support as of now...
More
19 years 6 months ago #5375 by s970022
Replied by s970022 on topic Re: VPN SETUP
This is the problem I encounter as q.
Even though I put my VPN server in the DMZ, it doesn't work.
As TheBishop mentioned, I can change something in your router config/NAT settings to have a public IP address on one of my machines, but how? coz I have only one public IP assigned by ISP. Do you mine giving me your example?
Time to create page: 0.149 seconds