Skip to main content

Help: Offline access to own PC.

More
19 years 10 months ago #4134 by atKandy
Hi geeks,

My PC is Windows 2000 pro. its Domain is InfoIT. When I am authonticated to the LAN, and go to Entire Network and browse the InfoIT domain, My PC is shown there along with others. That is fine!

But, when I am authonticated to the system with cached user information, and try to browse the InfoIT domain, it is not showing "Even my PC". I think that normally it should show only my PC there, even though there is no Lan connection.

I will appreciate your answer on this as this is very critical to me since a software which relies on a shared folder only works, if this PC is shown in the domain.

Regards,
AK
More
19 years 10 months ago #4142 by sahirh
since network neighbourhood relies on msbrowse broadcasts (I think), it will not show you the other systems..i dont know why its not showing your machine..

However if the share is on your own machine, you will still be able to access it via its UNC

for eg
\\machine\share

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
More
19 years 10 months ago #4147 by atKandy
Thanks Sahirh for the reply. But I have another Windows2000 pro machine where it only shows the local computer when not connected to the domain. Unfortunately that is not the computer where I want this working.

Is there any other network settings or Folder sharing settings?

Yes, I can access the way you told, but unfortunately the software does not work. It only works when I am able to see the pc under domain.

Anything else you can think of?
More
19 years 10 months ago #4176 by atKandy
Hi guys,

It is me again. Sorry, I just did not give up the issue. I am still awaiting an answer or explanation. So, please try to help me.

thanks
More
19 years 10 months ago #4181 by TheBishop
Replied by TheBishop on topic Browser
There's a tool in the Win2k Resource Kit called BrowMon. It will tell you (among other things) what the master browser for the domain is. It sounds like your problem could be something to do with that. I seem to remeber there are some registry settings you can make that can disable a machine from becoming a browser. If they are set, then when your machine is standalone it might be possible you don't get a browser so no machine in network neighbourhood. Does that sound plausible to anyone, or am I talking rubbish?
More
19 years 10 months ago #4186 by Chris
ATKandy,

Sorry but I'm really trying to understand the following critical description:

But, when I am authonticated to the system with cached user information, and try to browse the InfoIT domain, it is not showing "Even my PC". I think that normally it should show only my PC there, even though there is no Lan connection.

My questions are:
- Authenticating to what system ?
- How do you authenticate with 'cached user information'
- showing 'Even my PC' - please explain
- Show your pc even though there is no LAN Connection - Who hasn't got LAN connection? Your PC or the "System" you mention?

If you can clarify the above, we'll surely be able to help you.

p.s I'm also suspecting a MasterBrowser problem here, but I need to firstly understand what the setup is, and how/when the problem occurs.

Cheers,

Chris Partsenidis.
Founder & Editor-in-Chief
www.Firewall.cx
Time to create page: 0.154 seconds