Skip to main content

Computer Build

More
13 years 10 months ago #34779 by Nevins
Computer Build was created by Nevins
[img

Hey guys I wanted to get your input on this.
I plan on building a new computer shortly for personal use.
I'm not on an extreme budget but I'm trying to limit my build a little bit.
Anyways let me know what you think.

Here are some of the sites I stole ideas from:

whirlpool.net.au/wiki/?tag=rmp_sg_whirlpoolpcs_gaming_configs

forum.desktopreview.com/build-your-own-d...u-can-get-x-u-s.html

Keep in mind I have the other parts. Things like cases and monitors I already have.

[img

(edit: broken link fixed; offsite linking was not allowed)

This hobo build is also cool.

Useful Threads
================================
www.firewall.cx/forum/2-basic-concepts/3...e-resource-page.html
More
13 years 10 months ago #34780 by Bublitz
Replied by Bublitz on topic Re: Computer Build
The bottom build does not appear for some reason. Is this rig going to game? If so the top build seems to be alot of bang for your buck. If your not going to game drop the video card to save some cash I suppose and a quad core chip would be overkill as well. USB 3.0 thats hot (=

The Bublitz
Systems Admin
Hospice of the Red River Valley
More
13 years 10 months ago #34781 by Nevins
Replied by Nevins on topic Re: Computer Build
Fortunately this will be a gaming rig. To be honest I'm torn on getting the i7-920 and a board that can hold it just so I can get a piece of the 1366 socket architecture. Intel is quite a bit better than AMD at the moment but as always they charge more per clock cycle. One thing I do find funny is that prices on computer parts seem to come up not down in the last ten years. I mean you can get a 1ghz chip for nothing now but the problem is if you just look at it from a mid-tier/high-tier point of view manufacturers are really charging more for their good chips. Don't mistake what I'm saying you get more ghz per buck now but the overall price of a mid-tier or high-tier chip is more. (basically meaning a top of the line or middle of the line chip cost more now then it did before)

Also cases are all tainted by ricers. The industry thinks by tossing two 5 cent led's on a case they can bring up the cost on a tower $100. When I did my first build I paid $23 for a full tower about 8 years ago.

I'm kind of shocked that my current rig save for a few bad hard drives due to viruses and 1 stick of ram upgrade has stood the test of time and still does most everything I need it. But I want to do a build just for the fact that I haven't done it in a bit and I want to have at least one high end computer. It bugs me a bit that I still use a board which can run agp cards as it's main graphics port.

Useful Threads
More
13 years 10 months ago #34830 by Bublitz
Having just bought a cheap gaming rig I would personally be doing much better had I bought the intel i series processor.

When playing new games my amd does just fine its a quad 2.4 per core which is just fine.

Older software can only use one core so I get killed by that. The core i series will shut down other cores that aren't being used and over clock the core thats being used makeing it a much better choice for older games/software.

I play alot of steam/valve games like tf2, counter strike. All of which are older games and even valves new L4D uses the same older engine that are very high processors based so the video card doesn't mean as much.

So for me id rather have the intel right now (I hate to say it cause I always buy AMD) its just a more flexible chip able to run newer and older games better.

If your only going to run newer software though the amd should be just fine. Plus you have 3.2 per core so thats alot more per core than I have.

The Bublitz
Systems Admin
More
13 years 10 months ago #34854 by Nevins
Replied by Nevins on topic Re: Computer Build
Bah do to a recent cash flow shortage it may be a while before I can build a computer. So this build is completely worthless.

Useful Threads
More
13 years 9 months ago #34927 by Bublitz
Bummer dude. I was hoping to see how fast your rig was going to be also see some usb 3.0 goddies.

The Bublitz
Systems Admin
Time to create page: 0.157 seconds