Skip to main content

Internet Explorer 8 Configuration Settings

More
14 years 1 week ago #34264 by Stephanie
Does anyone have any good reference material on the options for configuring IE 8. As they relate to the... Tools | Connections | LAN Settings |Options.

Some of these are self explanatory, but I am not sure when they should be checked especially the settings under Auto Configuration | Auto Detect option.

Thanks for any info you can provide!
Stephanie
More
14 years 1 week ago #34266 by Nevins
Honestly the only thing of interest to me there is the proxy setting. If you wish to disable someone's I.E. 8 just change the port to 0.

What is it exactly that you are trying to do? Generally speaking the default settings work pretty well unless you are trying to lock a system down.

Useful Threads
================================
www.firewall.cx/forum/2-basic-concepts/3...e-resource-page.html
More
14 years 1 week ago #34269 by Arani
Replied by Arani on topic IE8
Hi,
If you are using IE at home then there is no need to change any settings at all. If and only if at work, your office setup has a proxy server (big brother watching your net activities!!!), then you need to specify the proxy server settings in the field next to 'Use Automatic Configuration Script', and obviously make sure that check box is ticked instead of the Automatically Detect box.

Picking pebbles on the shore of the networking ocean
More
14 years 1 week ago #34273 by Nevins
Arani,

Keep in mind a lot of us play big brother as part of our jobs not because we want to spy (usually) but because people are too dam dumb not to break stuff, leak company information on the internet, play games or watch videos of a carnal nature when they should actually be WORKING.

It's always been one of my pet peeves that the I.T. personnel gets crap for making a secured system that doesn't allow people to mess around on the internet or that rats them out when they are doing something their not supposed to. When your at work your getting paid to work. When I was working it absolutely discussed me how much time users spent messing around on the net vs doing actual work particularly because things were not going so great at that plant because stuff wasn't getting done the irony is that plant DID close down due to that issue. The data entry people didn't put in enough data and the data they did put in was bad more than an acceptable amount so military hardware accounts numbering in the hundreds of millions got taken away. Personally I attribute this to bad management (for not firing the lazy workers) AND lazy workers because put in the same spot I would have cracked the wip a bit more and laid off 5-6 people instead of seeing an entire company go down.

And the really sad part is some of these asshats literally did nothing for entire days because their job was data-entry which is literally taking text off an invoice into an access database in which I could see who did what. Now stop and think about that for a second a company pays you to do work but instead of working people browsed the net regardless of the fact that the internet was so locked down it was basically unusable in the mean time the company thats supposed to pay you can't not because you didn't bill the customer for work done or worse you under or over billed them for parts shipments that were generally equal or greater to my salary for an entire year.

/endrant

TL;DNR : There is a valid reason to be big brother at work it's called management.

Useful Threads
================================
www.firewall.cx/forum/2-basic-concepts/3...e-resource-page.html
More
14 years 1 week ago #34274 by r0nni3
The ironic thing is that there really is a management tool called big brother out there lol...
www.bb4.org/features.html

Currently working as Cisco Engineer at Neon-Networking.

Certifications:
CCNA - Have it
CCNA Security - Have it
CCSP - Almost!!!!
CCIE Security - Not so far away dream
More
14 years 1 week ago #34280 by Arani
Replied by Arani on topic ...
Wow, wow, wow. Stand down soldier!!! There is no need to get off on a tangent over here. I am well aware of why IT departments in many corporate houses put in rules of engagement for employees who would be using the company IT assets. And funny enough, I agree with most of them (apart from the ones where they refuse to fix a fault thinking if they can ignore it long enough it will go away).
There's no need to get sensitive about being a 'big brother'. This is neither a frag fest nor do I have any intention of making this into one. So chill, we are all friends here. :)

Picking pebbles on the shore of the networking ocean
Time to create page: 0.152 seconds