Skip to main content

shutdown command is shutting down systems

More
14 years 8 months ago #31531 by sose
some script kiddies in my place just run a SHUTDOWN - command and systems were shutting down after 30 seconds . what is the remedy
More
14 years 8 months ago #31532 by sose
sorry, it is a winxp box
More
14 years 8 months ago #31534 by factory909
shutdown -a will abort the shutdown, but you will have to know the computer name, and if the "script kiddie" gave it a time before it shut down.
More
14 years 8 months ago #31544 by sose
factory 909

when you use shutdown -a it will actually abort. but when system restarts the shutdown in 30 seconds reappears. so how do you stop it permanently
More
14 years 8 months ago #31552 by S0lo
It could be a virus, I've seen viruses that do the same. I'd do an antivirus update then a full scan.

If it's no use, try inspecting the following entries in the registry:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]

It lists the auto start up programs. See if the kid did place some thing there. There is also the [Start] -> [All programs] -> [Startup] menu which can also auto start programs.

Studying CCNP...

Ammar Muqaddas
Forum Moderator
www.firewall.cx
More
14 years 8 months ago #31558 by ZiPPy
I agree with S0lo that it more than likely is a virus. If this indeed was from a script kiddie you have a couple pressing issues:

1. Security on users isn't locked down and not specific to job role/function.

2. Relating to the above plus the fact that somebody has far more access than they need and have decided to take advantage it.

I would definitely scan the box first and also check those registry entries. If the box turns up clean, let us know and we can start hunting down the childish script kiddie on your network; who apparently doesn't have any work to do. :lol:

*sigh* Dealing with children on the playground we all know as the enterprise network.

Cheers,

ZiPPy

ZiPPy
Time to create page: 0.150 seconds