Skip to main content

WSUS questions

More
14 years 8 months ago #31372 by factory909
WSUS questions was created by factory909
I have around 50 computers and 2 servers in my network. Both of the servers are 2003 R2, one is the DC+dns+dhcp, and the other is our SQL production server. I have kind of skimmed through the WSUS deployment guide, and I think this its what I need.

As of right now, I have a little printed out calendar that I go around monthly and update the computers..I do it remotely with DameWareNT Utilities, but I was wondering if I could just push the hotfixes and security patches with WSUS?

What are some pro's and con's to using WSUS?
More
14 years 8 months ago #31373 by ZiPPy
Replied by ZiPPy on topic Re: WSUS questions
DameWare NT Utilities is an awesome a app and comes in very handy, but I can understand your need/want for an app to push updates. I was looking into implementing WSUS awhile back, but that project got pushed back.

I would be very interested to see what others think about WSUS, mainly people that have implemented it.

Cheers,

ZiPPy

ZiPPy
More
14 years 8 months ago #31388 by talk2sp
Zippy i implemented WSUS on my 2008 (SP2) server box. I received updates based on the way i synchronized them but when i try to get a computer on my network it hardly comes through...

It cool but i think i am gonna check out em Dameware u know over time i realized that em Windows (especially during my ftp night mare which i solved finally after S0lo's post) requires some 3rd party software to make it (windows) complete... Pardon me windows peeps..

Cheers

BORN TO BE GREAT

c0de - 3
Take Responsibility! Don't let failures define you
More
14 years 8 months ago #31389 by Alans
Replied by Alans on topic Re: WSUS questions
IMO, WSUS pros are: you reduce bandwidth usage by allowing only one pc to access windows updates. Also minizing the workload..
cons: it is only used for Windows updates, and you make single point of failure for updates, if it stoped, all your servers and PCs that configured to update from WSUS will stop updating.

I think it is a good tool to work on and easy to use.

always Face your Fears...
More
14 years 8 months ago #31391 by factory909
Replied by factory909 on topic Re: WSUS questions
Thanks, I think we are going to implement it. I am working up a design on which computer groups get updated when, etc..
More
14 years 8 months ago #31519 by Stephanie
Replied by Stephanie on topic Re: WSUS questions
I have been running WSUS for about 1 year on 300 PC's. For the price (free) it's great. It's a little tedious sorting through which updates you need. If you stay on top..approving, declining etc of the updates each month you will fine.

Word of caution... keep your group(s) of PC organized and start approving in small batches.

Stephanie
Time to create page: 0.152 seconds