Skip to main content

Temporary internet files on Wxp

More
15 years 4 months ago #28790 by Herthorn
I can't find the temporary internet files on windows XP.
I can see hidden files and when I do a defrag on my comp I can see the path to the file ( I have a 8mg dat file there that won't defrag), but when I follow the path where it is suppost to be it's not there.
If I do a search for the file, all that is found is the same file that is kept in "Default User".
I can go to the file buy going to Internet Properties/settings/viewfiles. but that doesn't tell me where the file is and the dat file isn't there either.

Thanks for any help you can give.
More
15 years 4 months ago #28791 by S0lo

I can see hidden files and when I do a defrag on my comp I can see the path to the file ( I have a 8mg dat file there that won't defrag), but when I follow the path where it is suppost to be it's not there.

Failure to defrag is some times due to logical or physical drive corruption. Try chkdsk /R before doing a defrag.

Studying CCNP...

Ammar Muqaddas
Forum Moderator
www.firewall.cx
More
15 years 4 months ago #28792 by Herthorn
I will do that. I would still like to be able to find the file though.
More
15 years 3 months ago #28845 by chriswo770
Should be:
"C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files"

just change your username to your logon name and make sure you have "show hidden files and folders" ticked in explorer.exe.
This can be done through any directory window, selecting "tools", "folder options", "view" and should be found in the advance settings window.

Also if C:\ isn't your %systemroot%, you'll have to change that

Hope this helps
More
15 years 3 months ago #28874 by Herthorn
I log in as administrator, and I am the only person using the computer. I have the "show hidden files and folders" clicked, and when I go to "C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings" there is no temporary internet files folder.

%systemroot% ? Thats a new one for me.
More
15 years 3 months ago #28877 by r0nni3

%systemroot% ? Thats a new one for me.

That just means the partition on wich windows was installed...so in most cases C:. Its just a variable just in case some one decided to call their parition E: or something like that

Currently working as Cisco Engineer at Neon-Networking.

Certifications:
CCNA - Have it
CCNA Security - Have it
CCSP - Almost!!!!
CCIE Security - Not so far away dream
Time to create page: 0.136 seconds