Skip to main content

RDP Connectivity Issues

More
15 years 10 months ago #26524 by Chojin
Hey all,

Another RDP issue :-).

Problem I have : "Can't take over my PC by RDP"

Situation :

I have used RDP towards my computer (host X) for a while now and it worked like a charm.. no problems.. until recently.

I can connect to my computer (host X) over my RDP port (in this case not 3389, using a custom port for security reasons)
But just before the windows log-in appears.. the RDP 'window' closes and return back to the MSTSC client where you can enter the host/ip and extra settings.

Troubleshooting performed :

Checked if the port was in listening mode, tested if I could reach the remote host bij telnet (and the port), checked event logs for any unusual events, reconfigured RDP.

host X can use RDP towards other machines, but just no RDP seems 'possible' to host X.

I have checked virus-scanners // firewalls and disabled these 100% to see if this was the problem without succes. the same situation occured.

The next step I could take is perform some network monitoring for the data.
Anyone else has some experience with this problem and any solutions or thoughs?

Thanks!

CCNA / CCNP / CCNA - Security / CCIP / Prince2 / Checkpoint CCSA
More
15 years 10 months ago #26525 by S0lo
Replied by S0lo on topic Re: RDP Connectivity Issues
Hey Chojin :)

Did you try to do it with the usual port 3389 ? If it works with that then you know it's a port configuration issue. If it does not, did you try to restart the "Terminal Services" service?

Studying CCNP...

Ammar Muqaddas
Forum Moderator
www.firewall.cx
More
15 years 10 months ago #26527 by Chojin
Replied by Chojin on topic Re: RDP Connectivity Issues
Reconfigured towards 3389 but the same error...
It does open the RDP-windows screen with the bar in the upper-screen (where you can close the window, minimalize, full-screen, where the IP-address is displayed)...

this is displayed for lets say... .5 secs and then disappears.

Also tried to restart the services (also rebooted the computer).
thanks for thinking :)

More
15 years 10 months ago #26528 by sp1k3tou
Have you tried to connect to that computer from a different computer yet? Maybe your rdp program is corrupt.
More
15 years 10 months ago #26532 by Smurf
Replied by Smurf on topic Re: RDP Connectivity Issues
Is this over a VPN or anything ? Also, have you recently done any Windows Updates or Service Pack updates ?

I have seen issue with Vista and RDP over VPN's which was to do with a change in the way the TCP Windowing and Auto Tuning options is done.

Might be completley wrong but if you have done recent updates or anything then it may be relevant.

www.chapterzero.co.uk/articles/windows-v...-network-issues.aspx

Wayne Murphy
Firewall.cx Team Member
www.firewall.cx

Now working for a Security Company called Sec-1 Ltd in the UK, for any
Penetration Testing work visit www.sec-1.com or PM me for details.
More
15 years 10 months ago #26538 by Chojin
Replied by Chojin on topic Re: RDP Connectivity Issues
I would almost act like a user and say : "I haven't done anything" haha :-).

-No updates occured recently (as far as I know)
-The connection doesn't work locally as well over internet
-Connection XP <--> XP

I can fall back to something like VNC or something similar, but I'm just to damn stubborn to say "ok computer, you won.. i'll go for another solution" :).

Maybe a reinstall would be a nice option since it has been a while, but that would also mean a Computer 1 - 0 Chojin.... I just can't accept my defeat :)

Time to create page: 0.150 seconds