Skip to main content

Guest account profile

More
16 years 5 days ago #25968 by S0lo
Guest account profile was created by S0lo
I've been having this issue for a while and never knew how to solve it.

As I understand, The Guest account profile in WinXP is supposed to be automatically deleted once the guest logs off. It then creates a new profile when the guest logs in again. So guests will never find the "My documents" or "Desktop" files of other guests. In our lab this works perfectly for PCs connected to Active Directory. However, a stand alone PC won't clear the guest's profile.

Does any one know why this is happening, or know of any registry fix or any thing that will force a stand alone PC to delete the guest profile once the guest logs off?

Sure I could set a logoff script to do it but I guess there should be an easier way.

Studying CCNP...

Ammar Muqaddas
Forum Moderator
www.firewall.cx
More
16 years 3 days ago #25980 by ikon
Replied by ikon on topic Re: Guest account profile
you need to create a mandatory profile.
rename the guest accounts ntuser.dat to ntuser.man, this should work, if nor search google for creating mandatory profile on standalone desktop

hope this helps
More
16 years 3 days ago #25981 by KiLLaBeE
Replied by KiLLaBeE on topic Re: Guest account profile
I don't think a mandatory profile will solve S0lo's issue. What he is saying is that on a domain environment, after a user logs out of the guest account, the profile is automatically deleted -- which is As Designed per Microsoft. But when a user logs off the guest account on a workgroups environment, the profile remains. A mandatory profile simply ensures that user changes within a profile aren't saved after a logoff/restart.

I don't know why this is happening....in the domain environment, it's working as it's supposed to. I'd guess that some local group policy chagne is needed to maek it work that way on a workgroup computer, but i haven't looked into it.
More
16 years 2 days ago #25991 by ikon
Replied by ikon on topic Re: Guest account profile
i dont believe there to be a policy setting other than Disable and Enable for Guest account, ohh and rename.

you can run rsop.msc to see what policy settings are loaded
use secpol.msc to change any settings you need.

There maybe something wierd with the policy in which case you can load a new security template using the SCAT tool, type mmc in a run box and add a snap in called security configuration and analysis, if you need help with the tool please write back.

you can run rsop.msc to see what policy settings are loaded
use secpol.msc to change any settings you need.

thanks
More
16 years 2 days ago #26000 by S0lo
Replied by S0lo on topic Re: Guest account profile
hmmm, I looked into the security policy editor secpol.msc. And there does'nt seam to be any setting related. I checked group policy before with no gain.

I just want to note here that the issue happens on any stand alone PC even if it was just formated and OS reinstalled. It's important to me here because we use the guest account for students exams to prevent students from cheating using pre-saved stuff.

Studying CCNP...

Ammar Muqaddas
Forum Moderator
www.firewall.cx
More
16 years 1 day ago #26011 by SteveP
Replied by SteveP on topic Re: Guest account profile

It's important to me here because we use the guest account for students exams to prevent students from cheating using pre-saved stuff.

Neat way to get around the possibility - I'd not thought of that!
Time to create page: 0.154 seconds