Skip to main content

Partition/Data Recovery FAT

More
16 years 10 months ago #22321 by Smurf
Hi peeps,

I have been looking through past posts in the forum regarding this but nothing seems to fit. I plugged my mates hard drive into my Vista machine in order to backup some of his files to CD and Vista said that it needed to convert the disk in order to access it and it destroyed all the data on it (hmmm, wont be doing that again).

Anyhow, i am trying to find some freeware/open source software that can recover partitions. Something that is bootable. Everything that i have come across you have to pay for however i prefer to try something fully before i purchase something and the ones i have found are restricted use.

Anyone any suggestions ?

Cheers

Wayne

Wayne Murphy
Firewall.cx Team Member
www.firewall.cx

Now working for a Security Company called Sec-1 Ltd in the UK, for any
Penetration Testing work visit www.sec-1.com or PM me for details.
More
16 years 10 months ago #22325 by DaLight
This thread has a couple of suggestions.
More
16 years 10 months ago #22326 by Smurf
Thanks, serves me right for only searching in Windows & DOS....

Does anyone know if Helix (Autopsy) can recover full partitions or just files ?

Wayne Murphy
Firewall.cx Team Member
www.firewall.cx

More
16 years 10 months ago #22334 by skepticals
What happened? Did vista convert it from a basic disk to a dynamic disk?

I have used Helix in the past and I was able to recover files and directories. I'm not sure if it could save an entire partition some how.
More
16 years 10 months ago #22335 by Smurf

What happened? Did vista convert it from a basic disk to a dynamic disk?

Not too sure, i should have paid more attention to the prompt but it said something about having to convert the disk in order for Vista to see it ?

I have used Helix in the past and I was able to recover files and directories. I'm not sure if it could save an entire partition some how.

Tried it and got a Helix screen with nothing else. Probably because its an old machine with only 256Mb ram.

Came across this which seems to have recovered the data partition which is the only one i am really interested in. Its called TestDisk and can be got from here

May even donate :wink:

Wayne Murphy
Firewall.cx Team Member
www.firewall.cx

More
16 years 8 months ago #22970 by Discrete

Anyhow, i am trying to find some freeware/open source software that can recover partitions. Something that is bootable. Everything that i have come across you have to pay for however i prefer to try something fully before i purchase something and the ones i have found are restricted use.

Anyone any suggestions ?

Not aware of the free ware but this utility Stellar Phoenix Windows Data Recovery Software has worked for me. It is a file and partition recovery utility which recovers lost data and partition.

A free demo version is available at: www.stellarinfo.com/partition-recovery.htm
Download the demo version to try the software, if the demo shows you the data then you can have them by getting the full version.

Best of Luck
Time to create page: 0.151 seconds