Skip to main content

windows server 2003 SBS reboots every 1 minute 42 minutes?!

More
16 years 11 months ago #22063 by Kn1ght
okay so I have a server that automatically tried to install service pack 2.... Didn't install, gave me a host of warnings, after a reboot. Now it shuts down all the time. I would LOVE to not have to rebuild this machine... Some of service pack 2 got installed but it will not allow me to uninstall it (from command line or from add/remove)

I try to reinstall SP 2 after manually downloading it etc, same thing, and I cannot reinstall SP 1... Some error logs shows some GPO error (10005) about not being able to access GPT.ini because the network is down (even though all mapped drives work etc) and another that talks about DCOM (that I haven't been able to figure out which device it is) other then that, I cannot find anything else... Help?

Thanks
More
16 years 11 months ago #22068 by Smurf
Sorry but not come across this one. Did you make a record of the warnings after the attempted installation of SP2 ?

I had a quick look on Google Groups and came up with the following which you may find helpful ?

groups.google.co.uk/group/microsoft.publ...=en#db2c087040306c23

Also, its worth noting that calls to Microsoft for Service Pack issues are free, so it may be worth calling Microsoft for support also and updating this thread with the resolution :)

Wayne Murphy
Firewall.cx Team Member
www.firewall.cx

Now working for a Security Company called Sec-1 Ltd in the UK, for any
Penetration Testing work visit www.sec-1.com or PM me for details.
More
16 years 11 months ago #22074 by Kn1ght
thanks for the help :) haha I didn't get a chance to look at the server today, I will Monday and see what I find.....

Thanks
More
16 years 11 months ago #22077 by Bionicthumb
Perform an in-place upgrade instead of a complete reinstall. It will set you back to whatever service pack level your installation CD is on and you'll be able to try installing that service pack again afterwards.

Just boot off of your installation CD and select "New Installation". When it alerts you that there is already an operating system on the selected partition you'll be given an opportunity to repair. This is the in-place upgrade. It is not the save thing as the recovery console.

The in-place upgrade will appear very similar to a reinstall. This has fixed many problems for me with both XP and 2003 machines.
More
16 years 11 months ago #22078 by Kn1ght
tried this also to no avail :(

Thanks
More
16 years 10 months ago #22081 by Smurf
I would contact Microsoft since its supposed to be free.

Wayne Murphy
Firewall.cx Team Member
www.firewall.cx

Now working for a Security Company called Sec-1 Ltd in the UK, for any
Penetration Testing work visit www.sec-1.com or PM me for details.
Time to create page: 0.150 seconds