Skip to main content

restoring ur computer

More
17 years 5 months ago #18343 by sose
restoring ur computer was created by sose
Sometimes I face difficulties using the GUI to restore my system, can anyone tell me how to do it in DOS command.

sose
More
17 years 5 months ago #18345 by TheBishop
Replied by TheBishop on topic Re: restoring ur computer
You'll need to give us a little more to go on. What backup system are you using?
More
17 years 5 months ago #18374 by sose
Replied by sose on topic Re: restoring ur computer
sorry, I use windows xp professional
More
17 years 5 months ago #18377 by Smurf
Replied by Smurf on topic Re: restoring ur computer
nnbnbnnbnbI will assume you are using NTBackup (well the windows backup that comes with XP?)

It will depend on what you want to acheive.

If you are just restoring data then its pretty straight forward, however if you want to restore the Operating System then it becomes more problematic.

My general experiance on this (mainly dealing with server restores) is that its rubbish if you want to do an OS Level restore. The only proper method to do it from scratch is to perform an ASR (Automated System Recovery) backup which produces a floppy disk that will record things like you hard drive file partition/structure and list the necessary drivers required to get the restore operation running.

For my home machines, i tend to use imaging software like Symantec Ghost or PowerQuest PQDI. I build my machine with 3 partitions, 1 for the system the next two are extended partitions, 1 for data and the last one is FAT32 to store my image.

Once i have the machine installed how i want it with the bere essentials (with MS Office, My spyware stuff, recording software, etc....) i create an image of my machine (oh, i also ensure that my Outlook PST, MyDocument and IE favorites default to my data drive so i don't loose any data after a restore of the image).

If anything happens to my machine, i know i can get back to my previous image within 10 mins by booting off a floppy and restoring the image back. I have been doing this for years and years and it saves me a load of time. I tend to restore my image once every 6 months and once restored, i run all the usual updates, Microsoft, Spyware, etc... and then re-create the image again.

The Windows XP restore points are a good idea to roll your machine back to previous states.

Also, you have the boot option of Last Known Good to try and recover the system.

A bit of info on ASR

technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsServer/en/...721033.mspx?mfr=true

support.microsoft.com/kb/818903/en-us

Wayne Murphy
Firewall.cx Team Member
www.firewall.cx

Now working for a Security Company called Sec-1 Ltd in the UK, for any
Penetration Testing work visit www.sec-1.com or PM me for details.
More
17 years 5 months ago #18378 by sose
Please smurf, I am interested in the procedures you use in creating an image in the third partition
More
17 years 5 months ago #18382 by Arani
Replied by Arani on topic Re: restoring ur computer
norton ghost might be an option, it can be run from a dos prompt as well

Picking pebbles on the shore of the networking ocean
Time to create page: 0.154 seconds