Skip to main content

Adding a Win computer to a Linux domain

More
17 years 5 months ago #18145 by dada
Hi,

I want to add a Windows computer to a Linux domain.
How is it possible.
Your valuable suggestion will be appreciable.

Regards,
DADA

Thanks & Regards,

DADA
More
17 years 5 months ago #18150 by TheBishop
Not sure what you mean by a linux 'domain'. You should be able to attach a windows PC to a network of linux machines in just the same way you would attach another linux machine - i.e. set it to receive an ip address via DHCP or used a fixed one taking care not to create a conflict. If you have a DNS server on your linux network point your windows machine to that; otherwise you might need to make manual entries in the hosts and/or lmhosts files to enable it to 'see' your other machines. If you want to map drives and connect to resources on the linux machines you'll need them to be exporting their filesystem by running something like Samba on them
More
17 years 5 months ago #18154 by jhun
yes it is possible to "join" a windows box to a linux domain via samba. if you have correctly configured samba on your linux box then adding a windows box to it would follow the same procedures as adding it to a windows-based domain controller.
More
17 years 5 months ago #18157 by Dove
nnbnb

yes it is possible to "join" a windows box to a linux domain via samba. if you have correctly configured samba on your linux box then adding a windows box to it would follow the same procedures as adding it to a windows-based domain controller.

I belive the samba which is used to access the data stored in linux from Windows. It is not relate to domain concept.

The below link may hlep you how you can use the linux (samba) with Windows.....

c.mills.ctru.auckland.ac.nz/Samba/XfsAclWinAuth.html

Cheers

Dove
More
17 years 5 months ago #18158 by jhun
hi dove,

i'm sorry but i don't quite get what you mean but the original poster (dada) wanted to know if it is possible to join a windows workstation to a linux domain controller which in fact is done using samba (setting up a linux as a pdc is samba's job) and the link that you supplied was pointing on how to create a linux file server under a windows nt domain environment.
More
17 years 5 months ago #18290 by dada

HI All,

You have got my point Jhun. I know that much that i have to configure the SAMBA for this but how should I configure?? After configuring the SAMBA, changing the domain name in Windows will do my issue??

Waiting for your valuable suggestions.

Thanks & Regards

DADA :D

Thanks & Regards,

DADA
Time to create page: 0.140 seconds