Skip to main content

Knoppix

More
19 years 1 month ago #7778 by tazziewan
Knoppix was created by tazziewan
I'm new to linux and wanted to try out linux.
Currently I'm came across knoppix which allows it bootable from cd rather than require to install onto HDD.

I think it's cool and would wanted to try it. Does it have the same functionality as with other linux flavours like suse or redhat? Is it suitable for beginners as I wanted to explore more of linux before moving over to linux platform.

Thanks
More
19 years 1 month ago #7785 by DaLight
Replied by DaLight on topic Re: Knoppix
nnbnbKnoppix is based on Debian, which along with Redhat and Suse is one of the established and respected linux distributions.

As you hinted, Knoppix is good for providing an introduction to Linux, as you don't have to make any changes to your hard disk, while gaining experience of Linux. You also have the option of installing onto your hard disk.

There are also a number of other Live CD distributions; so-called because they allow you to run Linux without installing to your hard disk, and a lot of the established distros have a Live CD/tester version.

www.frozentech.com/content/livecd.php provides a list of LiveCDs, although if you've already got Knoppix I see nothing wrong with using it.
More
19 years 1 month ago #7799 by cyberoidx
Replied by cyberoidx on topic Re: Knoppix
I am getting the following downloaded by a friend

Knoppix 700MB : known for ease of use

SimplyMEPIS : Known for better driver detection than Knoppix

DamnSmallLinux : 50MB For a quick download/boot for simple work..... or if you have the reuqired programs on your harddisk, and only need the Linux kernel..... works for me.

Surya Sharma
www.Technodrome.info
AR3 Y0U T3CH ENOUGH FOR IT?
More
19 years 1 month ago #7828 by sahirh
Replied by sahirh on topic Re: Knoppix
Knoppix is an extremely powerful distribution -- dont let the fact that its a liveCD mislead you -- its about 200 times more powerful than SuSE free... and probably about 10 times more powerful than a default SuSE Pro install....

To prove this, I use it regularly (on a daily basis) for all my security work.. penetration testing, vulnerability development, wireless hacking etc and it holds up fine.. its got that Debian flavour underneath while maintaining its own power.

Its my distro of choice..

Cheers,

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
More
19 years 1 month ago #7946 by beexo
Replied by beexo on topic Re: Knoppix

Knoppix -- its about 200 times more powerful than SuSE free... and probably about 10 times more powerful ...

Cheers,

What exacly do you mean by powerful?
More
19 years 1 month ago #7953 by cyberoidx
Replied by cyberoidx on topic Re: Knoppix
A distro contains a kernel + Applications.

Knoppix has more and better app's.

Surya Sharma
www.Technodrome.info
AR3 Y0U T3CH ENOUGH FOR IT?
Time to create page: 0.151 seconds