Skip to main content

Resized partition problem.

More
16 years 7 months ago #23102 by skepticals
Well, I wasn't thinking when I did this. I had a triple booted computer with XP, Vista, and Ubuntu. I wanted more space so I booted off of the Ubuntu CD and deleted the XP partition and resized the Vista partition to include the new space. Ubuntu said everything went fine, but Vista won't boot now.

Is this because the MBR (or something) was on the XP partition?

_____
Note: I tried to do this: support.microsoft.com/kb/927392

But, I can't boot off of the Vista Disc either. It goes to a black screen after the spash loading screen.
More
16 years 7 months ago #23106 by TheBishop
Might be something like that. When you installed the three OSs, what order did you install them in? This will probably give you a big clue
More
16 years 7 months ago #23113 by skepticals
I installed XP, then Vista, then Ubuntu.

I researched a great deal yesterday and found others with similar problems. Some peopl think Gpartition works perfectly with NTFS partitions and others not so much.

I ended up giving in and backed up my data and did a format and reinstall. I couldn't even boot off the Vista DVD until I formated the drive. Must have been something with the boot loader, MBR, or partition I would think.
More
16 years 7 months ago #23116 by TheBishop
If you installed XP first then as you say the MBR would be in that partition, and unfortunately you removed it. Never mind, at least you sorted it out
More
16 years 7 months ago #23121 by skepticals
Yeah, I assumed that the MBR was on the XP partition, but I didn't know if Ubuntu worked some magic and the normal MBR wasn't needed or moved.

Either way, the format fixed it :D
More
16 years 7 months ago #23151 by TheBishop
It would be nice to think so but it's not that intelligent. If it's any consolation I've fallen foul of similar issues more than once in the past too. Put it down to experience...
Time to create page: 0.149 seconds