Skip to main content

installing linux

More
17 years 2 months ago #20018 by decentboy
installing linux was created by decentboy
hi every body ,that is my 1st post to that great website
i faced a proplem while i just started instaling linux,which was a message says cd room is not supported ,or no cd rom found ,i have dell inspiron e1505 ,and i have the dos driver for my cdroom so the question is ...how i can use that driver to let linux installer to detect my cdroom?
More
17 years 1 month ago #20190 by nske
Replied by nske on topic Re: installing linux
Linux normally supports out of the box any CDROM drive. Unless you have something really exotic, you don't have to bother with any driver. Which Linux distribution did you try to install and in what stage of the installation did the error occur?
More
17 years 3 weeks ago #20966 by durk21
Replied by durk21 on topic Re: installing linux

Linux normally supports out of the box any CDROM drive. Unless you have something really exotic, you don't have to bother with any driver. Which Linux distribution did you try to install and in what stage of the installation did the error occur?

Actually I've used 3 versions of linux before and they've never been able to support my CDrom's or Drivers for most out of the box equipment.

But their are special patches you can buy off linux vendors to fix this problem. Just Google it and do the research for the particle patch or software you might need to buy.

There are plenty of resources on linux out there.

But having said that this is the very reason I just stick to windows just because its less hassle for compatibility.
More
17 years 3 weeks ago #20967 by ashok_nitc
Replied by ashok_nitc on topic Re: installing linux
i used different versions of linux like mandrake, suse, redhat. and installed so many systems in our college hostel. but never fetched such problem!
looking forward for the problem!!
More
17 years 3 weeks ago #20980 by durk21
Replied by durk21 on topic Re: installing linux
yeah ive run into problems using mandrake and redhat and OS X linux

but it also depends on the machines hardware my pc isnt stock at all its 100% custom made so i run into conflicts over my agp graphics cards and things of that nature.
More
17 years 1 week ago #21307 by abinesh
Replied by abinesh on topic Re: installing linux
can any one sent me the details about the linux installation ... now my computer is working in winXP .. i need to change the operating system in linux...do i formate my HDD for installing LINUX
Time to create page: 0.149 seconds