Skip to main content

setting up private proxy

More
12 years 7 months ago #37307 by pedenski
there are restrictions when viewing websites in my office, using online proxy wouldn't work since even the word 'proxy' is blocked which resorted me to make my own proxy server.

i used CC proxy, and while testing it at home, it appears to be working fine..

using my work-pc at office . i went to firefox and changed the proxy settings, which oddly gives me a blank screen when i browse sites. so i went to wireshark to see if my work-PC really sends REQ to my home-pc (proxy server) which turns out. it does.. not sure why firefox wont load the pages.
More
12 years 7 months ago #37309 by Nevins
Replied by Nevins on topic Re: setting up private proxy
You will not win this war against a good systems and network admin without paying for your own internet. The problem you are facing is your searches can get stopped multiple points along the way and moreover you'll likely get fired in the process if you do get though because your admin is likely looking at a snmp trap packet capture output screen.

Problems you likely face:

Sites blocked by host file. (Chances are it's locked.)
DNS site redirect. (Chances are you are locked out of editing)
Browser Proxy redirect. (Can be locked but is browser specific)
Access control lists. (Cannot be changed blocks ip/ports not keywords)

SNMP Trap. (Someone is likely recording your wasted time at work so they don't have a cause to fire you when it fits their needs)

Okay so lets look at this logically. Chances are your getting redirected before it even gets to the internet by your host file, dns settings and browser settings. You can likely get around the browser but adding another browser (if you are not locked out of installing new programs) and you may even be able to change the dns and host settings if not configured properly. Unfortunately for you, you will likely get blocked by the firewall or router containing the ACL and more over you'll get fired when the SNMP records you trying to access it on work time.

A bit off the main subject but when I was doing network monitoring at my last job we didn't necessarily use messing around on the network as cause for firing someone however management would frequently have record of broken policy added to personnel records so that when they wanted to fire someone for something that they couldn't legally put as cause... they would return to the stored records.

Essentially they would work the situation like this:

Person <a> needs to be fired for <b> but <c> laws prohibit firing for that reason so <d> will be the reason we fire them.

Useful Threads
================================
www.firewall.cx/forum/2-basic-concepts/3...e-resource-page.html
More
12 years 7 months ago #37320 by Arani
Replied by Arani on topic ...
Very well put Nevins. I will use this as an example as well in my office. Sometimes scare tactics works better than 'sitting down and having a one to one chat'

Cheers

Picking pebbles on the shore of the networking ocean
More
12 years 7 months ago #37321 by TheBishop
The organisation I support makes all its users sign up to an IT policy when they join. That way you can't even argue that you didn't realise that what you were doing was disciplinary and/or sackable
More
12 years 7 months ago #37326 by rizin
Replied by rizin on topic Re: setting up private proxy
Very well said Nevin, I heart fully appreciate your suggestions :)

Known is a drop, unknown is an Ocean
More
12 years 7 months ago #37331 by Nevins
Replied by Nevins on topic Re: setting up private proxy

Useful Threads
================================
www.firewall.cx/forum/2-basic-concepts/3...e-resource-page.html
Time to create page: 0.157 seconds