Skip to main content

HELP, A Problem unknown to me.....????

More
13 years 7 months ago #35312 by KanG
Hello Mates,
I am new here nd work in a telecom company. I found this Web Site very handy. All the stuff here is really Great.
Ok Mates I wanna share a problem with you. Today I observe a strange problem while checking a customer PC. Whenever I try to Ping the BRAS of our company it gives no response there are totally REQUEST TIME OUT. Also the WAN IP taken by the customer PC is not able to ping. It gives the message "DESTINATION HOST UNREACHABLE", Also there are Dynamic IPs in the LAN card. When I change the IPs setting to static the WAN IP begin to ping with a lots of losses. Same with BRAS.
Help me to observe the problem. Is there a problem in the DSLAM CARD or there could be some other sort of problem. What are the possible causes concerning with the problem.
Any help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
More
13 years 7 months ago #35313 by TheBishop
You need to find out first what IP address the PC is using when it has a dynamic IP address. Assuming the PC is running some flavour of Windows, bring up a command prompt window and enter the command ipconfig /all.
If the PC is getting an IP address from a DHCP server somewhere then you need to check it is in the correct range to be able to reach the destinations you have mentioned. The other possibility is that the PC isn't getting an address form a DHCP server (perhaps because the server isn't working or reachable) and is thererfore inventing it's own address. If you find an address starting with 169.254 then that is what is happening.
More
13 years 7 months ago #35316 by KanG

You need to find out first what IP address the PC is using when it has a dynamic IP address. Assuming the PC is running some flavour of Windows, bring up a command prompt window and enter the command ipconfig /all.
If the PC is getting an IP address from a DHCP server somewhere then you need to check it is in the correct range to be able to reach the destinations you have mentioned. The other possibility is that the PC isn't getting an address form a DHCP server (perhaps because the server isn't working or reachable) and is thererfore inventing it's own address. If you find an address starting with 169.254 then that is what is happening.

Hello TheBishop,
Thanks For Your Reply. I Really Appreciate it.
Moreover my dear mate, I am using 192.168.1.2 as dynamic IP and is in correct range (from 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.254). I also try different IPs and are within range. Also when I set Lan Card to obtain IP address automatically, it obtains the IP address of the same range. Therefore there could be no server side problem.
I also beg your pardon for not clear every point in my last topic. The customer is using ADSL2+ modem configured in PPPoE mode. The DHCP server mode is also enabled and IP range is as above. Our company is using an IP-DSLAM.
And the problem I am facing is whenever I try dynamic IPs the NATing is not possible between Lan IP and WAN IP. And when I use Static IPs, NATing is possible but with Lost of loses. What could be the possible reasons of this problem.
More
13 years 7 months ago #35329 by S0lo
It seams from your description that there are multiple problems, not a single one. I assume that you have already tried restarting his PC and the ADSL modem/router.

I would first keep the customers IP (inside IP) to static, and try to resolve the "REQUEST TIME OUT" issue. Since this is intermittent, it might indicate that some device in the way is CPU over loaded, or a cable is not working properly.

Another odd guess, if you configured NAT without PAT, NAT might be running out of IPs. Make sure PAT is configured correctly on the ADSL modem/router. But I don't think that this last one is the problem :roll:

Could you post a result of a tracert from his PC to any IP on the internet? If the trace stops at the modem or at a device in you company, you'll know where to look.

Studying CCNP...

Ammar Muqaddas
Forum Moderator
www.firewall.cx
More
13 years 6 months ago #35394 by KanG
How to attach imgs.
More
13 years 6 months ago #35396 by S0lo

How to attach imgs.

You can upload it here: imageshack.us/

Studying CCNP...