Skip to main content

How many RFCs have you read?

More
14 years 2 weeks ago #34197 by KiLLaBeE
I'm curious as to how many RFCs you have read/partially read or glanced through. Being that practically every technology in IT comprises of an RFC (or several), I think it should be every IT professional's goal to read/partially read at least a few RFCs. Not to learn how a certain technology operates (because the description in the RFC tends to be very lengthy), but to understand why the RFC was written and to get a feel for the layout/format of the document along with the form of language used. I think one thing you'll gain from reading an RFC is that you'll realize that a given technology is a lot more detailed than how it is made made out to be in books/articles.

I can't say that I fully read RFC 1918 and RFC 2730 -- because the writing is very dull and some description is superfluous -- but I'd say that I ready about 75% of each. I also started to read RFC 1771, but decided to postpone that reading until I learned BGP from a different angle. I read parts of RFC 959 when I was having an FTP issue, but shortly after found an alternate solution to my problem.

I hope to look through the RFC(s) that pertain to L2TP, IKE, Kerberos, and SSL. I don't plan on reading them to learn how the protocols operate, because there is text out on the Net that does a better job of describing what I need to know about the protocols, but just to gain insight into the low level details about them.
More
14 years 2 weeks ago #34208 by S0lo
I glanced through maybe, but never seriously read one. I'm not a good reader by nature, usually preferring visual stuff and trying things out. Some times on books. Wish I could do better later on.

Studying CCNP...

Ammar Muqaddas
Forum Moderator
www.firewall.cx
More
14 years 2 weeks ago #34213 by Alans
i read about 18 RFCs each 75% to 90% and some of them more than one time :(
Most of them was about DNS, very hard to read though.
i think it is nice to read them then tutorials and books reading will be much easier.

always Face your Fears...
More
14 years 2 weeks ago #34214 by KiLLaBeE

i read about 18 RFCs each 75% to 90% and some of them more than one time :(
Most of them was about DNS, very hard to read though.
i think it is nice to read them then tutorials and books reading will be much easier.

Interesting, and very impressive :-D

Were you researching a particular functionality or just doing reserach?
More
14 years 2 weeks ago #34216 by Alans

Were you researching a particular functionality or just doing reserach?

I thought i was good at DNS stuffs, but then i faced an issue that i couldn't figure it out so i decided to read everything about DNS..
I found too many RFC related to DNS operations and i choose some of them (about 20) and i start reading..
It was nice to read RFC from 1987 where they were discussing DNS as only one single hosts.txt file and how to manage that :)
Anyway, I couldn't solve the problem even after i read RFCs but as i said, it was much easier and more comfortable to read DNS related books and resources.

always Face your Fears...
More
14 years 2 weeks ago #34218 by sose
Honestly speaking I dont keep track of how many I have read . when I am reading a text and I see an RFC reference I try to visit it. some I read partially and some completely. I am the reading type and I can spend a whole night reading only an RFC comment
Time to create page: 0.152 seconds