Skip to main content

AV recommendations

More
16 years 4 months ago #24404 by GTM
AV recommendations was created by GTM
Hi Guys, We are going to set up an Apache server running on windows 2003 server the problem we face is that it is not compatible with our current anti virus. This server will be used by approx 100 users. Any Anti Virus vendors i've researched are stating that we must pay licensing fee's for each concurrent connection which comes to a hefty amount. Any open source that i've came across does not have real time scanning which is an absoulute must. Does anyone have any recommendations for either a cheap but reliable product or an open source alternative.

Thanks.
More
16 years 4 months ago #24411 by ZiPPy
Replied by ZiPPy on topic Re: AV recommendations
GTM,

What Anti-virus are you currently running that isn't compatible with your Apache server? When your talking about expensive licenses for all your users, which product are you looking at? Norton? McAfee? Kaspersky?

What is your price range?

Cheers,

ZiPPy

ZiPPy
More
16 years 4 months ago #24413 by DaLight
Replied by DaLight on topic Re: AV recommendations
AVG File Server Edition: 689 USD / 2years for 100 concurrent users. Pity that real-time scanning is a requirement as Clam AV would have done the job.
More
16 years 4 months ago #24421 by GTM
Replied by GTM on topic Re: AV recommendations
We'r running an old version of McAfee Enterprise. Yeah Dalight i looked at Clam before posting it was the one I was going for untill I was told that it must have real time scanning. I also bought the AVG file server edition also before posting had it purchased via company credit card and everything untill the director seen the price and told me to cancel it. The director is a real tight man when it comes to expenses. I dont have an actual figure that i can post. I'll have to dig around untill i find one that is either free or below the AVG I think it was costing around £600 for the two years like i say he's a tight man :)
More
16 years 4 months ago #24434 by DaLight
Replied by DaLight on topic Re: AV recommendations
Maybe you should dig up some stats on the financial effects that virus infestations have on businesses.
More
16 years 4 months ago #24441 by ZiPPy
Replied by ZiPPy on topic Re: AV recommendations
I totally agree with DaLight. Do some research and prepare a security proposal. Layout the benefits of implementing a new AVP. Do your research and find a product that is priced appropriately, but also does the job. When everything is laid out and broken down into pieces of why this product is needed, he might change his mind.

When you tell an owner or upper management about a product you want to buy that costs 'x' amount, they will more then likely say no. They don't understand how important it is, and if they do understand they certainly don't know the intricacies. If they did, they would probably be doing your job. Its worth a shot.

Cheers,

ZiPPy

ZiPPy
Time to create page: 0.151 seconds