Skip to main content

Wireless modem to Wireless Router

More
18 years 5 months ago #11818 by chandak76
I've been trying to share my wireless modem using a wireless router,what im trying to do is to connect my wireless modem to to a wireless router so that every one with access to router can dial in to the internet,at the moment all the laptops can see the router but non can see the modem.how do i get these laptops to be able to dial up the modem thats connected to the router? Security is not much of an issue at the moment.
More
18 years 4 months ago #11928 by dwyane
:D hi there chandak.. can u tell me which modem and router u are using ?
More
18 years 4 months ago #11934 by DaLight
Have you configured you the wireless modem first? Connect it to your PC and then configure the router to use it as a gateway. You could try using the wired ports while you're doing the configuration to make things easier.
More
18 years 4 months ago #11975 by chandak76
Hi I've configured the modem and it works fine when connected directly to the laptop.what i would like to do is connect the modem to the router so that everyone in the house connects to it through the router instead of having the modem connected to a dedicated laptop,Im using using a linksys 2.4ghz 802.11g broadband router and (its called "my wireless " www.sentech.co.za ).I've set the internet configuration to use PPPoE as the internet connection type on the router.
More
18 years 4 months ago #11979 by jhun
hi,

double check your configurations for both the modem and the linksys w-router. since your setup implies something like this:

laptop<
>linksys<
>modem<
>Internet

then it should be noted that the modem should have some sort of interfaces wherein it would require you to configure the WAN side and the LAN side of the modem wherein the WAN side of it should be connected to the Internet and LAN side to the linksys router(if possible assign a static ip address for this one). if the modem has some features like dhcp, etc., i suggest to turn them off.

now on the linksys side, it also has a configuration page wherein you would input the specifics for both WAN and LAN parameters. in your WAN parameters you should put the LAN specifics from your modem and from the LAN side of the linksys router you could implement a dhcp service for the clients.

also make sure that the modem and linksys share the same ssid if using wireless and if supported otherwise you could just go with a wired implementation wherein the LAN port of the modem plugs directly to the Internet (uplink) port of the linksys router.

hope this helps..
More
18 years 4 months ago #12217 by naughtypaul
Hi chandak

In Understand you have a PPPoE Connection. If so then you must have a User Name & the Password for the Internet access.

When you connected your PC directly to the Modem, what IP did your PC attain. Was that a Private Ip or a Public IP address. If its a private Ip address then you have to configure your Linksys box for "Obtain IP automatically". Now-a-days I see ISPs providing NAT Modems to customers.

If you get a public IP with the IP & the Default Gateway to be tha same then it should be PPPOE and your router has to be configured for PPPoE.

If still the problem pretains the please call the Tech Support Dept. of Linksys..( :roll: ofcourse you have to wait for hours in Queue).

Thx.
Paul 8)

Thanks
NaughtyPaul
Time to create page: 0.149 seconds