for R1 : Router rip
network 10.0.0.0
[/code:1]
and
[code:1]
for R2 : Router rip
network 10.0.0.0

why they use 10.0.0.0 as a network address, i mean 10.1.1.0 should also work due to the subnet mask !!

I know that 10.1.1.1 is a class B address but can someone clarify things to me !!!!!

thanks for all
More
19 years 2 weeks ago #8307 by airwolf
Replied by airwolf on topic Re: RIP network address
ok

your doing it wrong mate, you have the following as you know already

R1-(E0) 10.1.1.1\24
10.1.1.2\24(E0)- R2

rip on a router only needs to know the information about the directly connected networks within it which is why it wont work the way you do it

so you should do

r1>router rip
network 10.1.1.1

r2>router rip
network 10.1.1.2

thats your correct rip statements m8

go forth and multiply ;)
More
19 years 2 weeks ago #8308 by cybersorcerer
10.1.1.1 is also not a class B adress. A class B address is when the first octet is 128.1.0.1 to 191.255.255.254.

"He who breaks something to find out what it is, has left the path of wisdom."

Gandalf the Grey
More
19 years 2 weeks ago #8314 by aminos
Replied by aminos on topic Re: RIP network address
Thanks guys,
But actually if you check the labs on boson Router simulator you'll
find exactly what i wrote, when i did the simulation
it works with both :
r>network 10.1.1.0
and
r>network 10.0.0.0

so i'm confused, why the sim works !!!!!!!!! [/code]
More
19 years 2 weeks ago #8327 by airwolf
Replied by airwolf on topic Re: RIP network address
10.0.0.0 is not an address within your network, how do you actualy know your rip statemenst worked? 10.1.1.1 is an address within your network, your rip statements should only be about the addresses which are connected to your network, so just say for instance you have a serial connection to another router with a wan ip address of 10.1.1.1 and an ethernet address of 10.1.2.1 your rip statements owuld be as follows because the address's are directly associated with your router and have connections on them with the addresses above.

network 10.1.1.1
network 10.1.2.1

the statemnts above will go on the same router because they are address's associated with your router. your rip only broadcasts information about directly connected networks and thats all it has to know, putting the 10.0.0.0 wont make your rip not work but its pointless having it as it wont do nothing either.
More
19 years 2 weeks ago #8331 by mew
Replied by mew on topic Re: RIP network address
If you configure RIP

Router rip
network 10.1.1.1

and then do a show run you will find

!
Router rip
network 10.0.0.0
!

However if you do a show ip route you will find that rip does recognize that this class A network has been subnetted and will list is as such in the routing table.

You might also note that when configuring routing protocols you use "network" addresses not "usable IP addresses". If you do use an IP address the router will automatically convert it to the classful network address the IP address is in.

In the more advanced routing protocols you can use subnet addresses with wild card masks. In this way you can list each subnet individually. These routing protocols are also designed to work with variable length subnet masks. But this is a subject for another day.
Time to create page: 0.138 seconds