Skip to main content

Setting up trunk to catalyst 2950

More
20 years 10 months ago #432 by geoff_jdt2003
I need help to clarify this issue.
Can we assign Access mode and truck mode to the same Vlan and what need to be configure at router to allow this connection.

catalyst assign 1)VLAN to port
2)Access mode
3)Truck mode?
4) ?

Router 1) Access-list to vlan
2) ?
3) ?

Thank you
More
20 years 6 months ago #708 by sahirh
I would first refer you to cisco.com as their documentation is the best. I know they have a doc on routing between VLANs.

With regard to port trunking.. I might be confused but i think you assign trunking to the port itself, not to the vlan...
btw from a security point of view you should put all your trunked ports on a separate VLAN if you want security because its possible for someone from one VLAN to jump their packets to another VLAN if they are directly connected and are on the same VLAN as the trunked port.

I dont consider my layer2 switching knowledge that hot, but as i said www.cisco.com :)

Cheers,
Sahir.

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
More
18 years 9 months ago #9244 by cybersorcerer
It is possible to configure a port on a vlan with a setting called dynamic desirable. This allows the link to act like an access link when it needs to and when the other connection is set to dynamic auto, it will automatically switch over too a trunk link. You can do that with the command:

[code:1] switchport mode dynamic-desirable [/code:1] in the interface configure prompt. Make sure that both ends of the link that you wish to trunk are not both set to desirable. This will not work. Make sure one end of the link is set to trunk or dynamic-auto.

"He who breaks something to find out what it is, has left the path of wisdom."

Gandalf the Grey
More
18 years 9 months ago #9299 by tiamat
heh.. not enough activity on the boards, so you respond to a 2 year old post, eh?
More
18 years 9 months ago #9302 by cybersorcerer
HA! I didn't even notice that... that is really eerie because I ONLY post on topics that show up on the "last 20 forum posts".. and this one showed up on there somehow. That got me laughing and feeling a little stupid at the same time... meh, I think I'll just get back to reading...

"He who breaks something to find out what it is, has left the path of wisdom."

Gandalf the Grey
More
18 years 9 months ago #9308 by jwj
I personally don't see a problem posting on older topics, especially ones that haven't ever been replied to, or were never really answered. Maybe there should be a challenge for people to step up and try to get the unanswered posts answered?

-Jeremy-
Time to create page: 0.151 seconds