Skip to main content

tftp server and Cisco router

More
18 years 5 months ago #11666 by saidfrh
Hi,
Could any one assist in setting TFTP service on a PC-WinXP for data transfer to a Cisco router?
1. TFTP has been downloaded to the PC.
2. Cisco IOS has been copied from CD to TFTP-Root folder on WinXP.
3. What is the procedure for mapping the directory in the TFTP services?
4. I get the following errors on Cisco console after attempts.
Thanks and appreciate assistance.

Router#copy flash tftp
Source filename []? c2600-is-mz.121-4.bin
Address or name of remote host []? 172.16.40.2
Destination filename [c2600-is-mz.121-4.bin]?
%Error opening tftp://172.16.40.2/c2600-is-mz.121-4.bin (Undefined error)

Router#copy tftp flash
Address or name of remote host []? 172.16.40.2
Source filename []? c2600-io3-mz.123-9.bin
Destination filename [c2600-io3-mz.123-9.bin]?
Accessing tftp://172.16.40.2/c2600-io3-mz.123-9.bin...
%Error opening tftp://172.16.40.2/c2600-io3-mz.123-9.bin (Timed out)
Router#
More
18 years 5 months ago #11680 by Chris
saidfrh,

While the tftp transfer of IOS's to and from any router is a straight forward operation, it can get a bit complex due to file permissions or tftp program configuration parameters.

To help you get this running asap, go to our FTP/TFTP downloads section and grab 3com's 3C Daemon - its free and works great.

Once installed, launch the program and select the TFTP Server tab on the left window. Click on the 'Configure TFTP Server' option and set the 'Upload/Download directory' option.

Hit 'OK' to save the changes and confirm the program is 'listening for TFTP connections' on the main window.

At this point, its a good idea to disable any Firewall you might be running on your Windows XP/2000 machine.

You should be able now to copy files from your router to your tftp server.

Regarding the inverse direction - copying files from your tftp to the cisco device, ensure the file placed in the tftp directory is accessible by 'everyone' and/or 'guest' user of your system, otherwise the router won't be able to grab it from the tftp directory.

If you have any problems setting the file permissions, please let us know.

Cheers,

Chris Partsenidis.
Founder & Editor-in-Chief
www.Firewall.cx
More
18 years 5 months ago #11685 by saidfrh
Replied by saidfrh on topic Thank you.
Chris,
Thank you.
More
18 years 5 months ago #11689 by jwj
I love 3cdaemon!! It is the only TFTP server I have that simply works, especially for large file transfers.

-Jeremy-
More
18 years 5 months ago #11690 by Chris
I couldn't agree more Jwj - it's an awesome program!!!!!

Chris Partsenidis.
Founder & Editor-in-Chief
www.Firewall.cx
More
18 years 5 months ago #11700 by tiamat
nnbnbI prefer Tftpd32 found here: tftpd32.jounin.net/ It's very small and works fine for me.

Also, regarding difficulties tftping to/from a router, you will also need to make sure that the router has IP connectivity to your tftp server. This may sound obvious, but sometimes the router may not have the proper routes, or be able to reach the tftp server, especially if it is addressed with an rfc 1918 address while the router may be on the other side of a WAN link, etc...
Time to create page: 0.151 seconds