Skip to main content

ATM question (a,b,c,d)

More
18 years 6 months ago #11167 by ambis
ATM question (a,b,c,d) was created by ambis
Consider compressed video transmission in an ATM network. Suppose standard ATM cells must be transmitted through 5 switches. The data rate is 43 Mbps.
a) What is the transmission time for one cell through one switch?
b) Each switch may be transmitting a cell from other traffic all of which we assume to have lower (non-preemptive for the cell) priority. If the switch is busy transmitting a cell, our cell has to wait until the other cell completes transmission. If the switch is free our cell is transmitted immediately. What is the maximum time from when a typical video cell arrives at the first switch (and possible waits) until it is finished being transmitted by the fifth and last
one? Assume that you can ignore propagation time, switching time, and everything else but the transmission time and the time spent waiting for another cell to clear a switch.
c) Now suppose we know that each switch is utilized 60% of the time with the other low priority traffic. By this we mean that with probability 0.6 when we look at a switch it is busy. Suppose that if there is a cell being transmitted by a switch, the average delay spent waiting for a cell to finish transmission is one- half a cell transmission time. What is the average time from the input of the
first switch to clearing the fifth?
d) However, the measure of most interest is not delay but jitter, which is the variability in the delay. Use part (b) and (c) to calculate the maximum average variability, respectively, in the delay.

thank you
More
18 years 6 months ago #11171 by jwj
Replied by jwj on topic Re: ATM question (a,b,c,d)
These questions are very vague and dependant on lots of variables -- most of which aren't supplied. Is this a question you have in your studies, ambis?

-Jeremy-
More
18 years 6 months ago #11181 by ambis
Replied by ambis on topic Re: ATM question (a,b,c,d)
yes, i need to solve it for my assignment. I know that the length of ATM cell is 53 bytes (48+5) and also, RT-VBR is used for compressed video. But, I don't know how to calculate the delay, jitter etc.
i hope you can help.
thank you.
More
18 years 6 months ago #11188 by jwj
Replied by jwj on topic Re: ATM question (a,b,c,d)
RT-VBR is used to guarantee a certain cell rate, that "throttles" up and down as is needed, and amount of delay. I'd imagine you could just look at the VPI/VCI configured for that traffic and tell how much delay to be expected. I honestly don't know how to make those calculations, sorry. Could you share with us when your assignment is complete?

-Jeremy-
More
18 years 6 months ago #11192 by Rashadash
Excuse me, I was wondering what class you are taking?
More
18 years 6 months ago #11206 by ambis
Replied by ambis on topic hi
computer networks
but, is it possible that nobody knows the answer?
Time to create page: 0.140 seconds