Skip to main content

I have created 3 vlans on cisco 3560 switch named vlan 10 ,2

More
12 years 9 months ago #37206 by bijayswain
I have created 3 vlans on cisco 3560 switch named vlan 10 ,20 , 30

Now I have connected a hp switch to my network .will the existing vlan support hp switch. means can i trunk between cisco and ho switch and without creating any vlan on hp switch can i add hp ports to those vlans.

how to do it and which commands to use on both the switches .
More
12 years 9 months ago #37207 by rizin
Yes you can, make sure you are using encapsulation dot1q in the Core switch.

Known is a drop, unknown is an Ocean
More
12 years 9 months ago #37208 by Nevins

I have created 3 vlans on cisco 3560 switch named vlan 10 ,20 , 30

Now I have connected a hp switch to my network .will the existing vlan support hp switch. means can i trunk between cisco and ho switch and without creating any vlan on hp switch can i add hp ports to those vlans.

how to do it and which commands to use on both the switches .

Rizin no he can't. Encapsulation dot1q is required for trunking between the Cisco and HP servers but he's still going to need to create the vlans in order to put ports in them. You could argue that he could use VTP but he would still have to set that switch up to be a VTP client.

He needs:

Trunk Links to be set with switchport mode trunk
Encapsulation dot1q (possibly default on both switches)
vlan 10,20,30 to be created and added to the proper interfaces.

Useful Threads
================================
www.firewall.cx/forum/2-basic-concepts/3...e-resource-page.html
More
12 years 9 months ago #37209 by Chris
Nevins is correct. You'll need to create the same VLANs on the HP Switch and configure 802.1q trunking between the Cisco and HP switch.

HP does not support Cisco's proprietary VTP in order to automatically create the VLANs that already exist on the 3650. HP does support a similar protocol called GARP ( www.firewall.cx/vlans-best-practices.php , Section 3), but that doesn't help in your case.

Let us know if you need any additional help.

Cheers,

Chris Partsenidis.
Founder & Editor-in-Chief
www.Firewall.cx
More
12 years 9 months ago #37210 by rizin
Thanks nevin and chris,

So in a nutshell.

1. Same vlans to be created in Core cisco switch and hp switch.

2. Dot1q encapsulation to be created in Core cisco switch and Hp switch for trunking if required.

Well what in the scenario with ONE CORE Cisco switch with 3 NO's of VLAN's with 3 No's of HP Switch.

1. is still need to create VLAN in Each HP Switch.

However i haven't properly noticed his requirement of creating VLAN's i mis assumed that he is having 3 no's of HP Switches.

Known is a drop, unknown is an Ocean
More
12 years 9 months ago #37211 by next_virus
Hi All,

Here I have a query. Does bijayswain still needs to create the vlan on HP switch if he creates VTP domain on the core switch and make HP switch the member of that domain????
Time to create page: 0.156 seconds