Skip to main content

New Firewall.cx firewall ...so to speak

More
14 years 6 months ago #32336 by ZiPPy
I was out of town this past week, and upon my return I noticed a huge change to the Firewall.cx site. A simple question to verify a user from a bot; this should help if not eliminate our spamming problem. As with many other sites, they ask you to type in a few letters and numbers to verify you are not a bot. This can get annoying sometimes because you can barely read the letters and numbers. I think our simple question should do the trick.

Hats off to the Firewall.cx team!

Cheers mates,

ZiPPy

ZiPPy
More
14 years 6 months ago #32343 by S0lo
I have to say that extra thanks goes to Chris for injecting the new module into fw.cx 8)

Any problem reporting would be appreciated guys.

Studying CCNP...

Ammar Muqaddas
Forum Moderator
www.firewall.cx
More
14 years 6 months ago #32346 by SteveP
I've encountered the "enter the following text ..." only once. I've accessed the site since then using different PCs. I assumed that it was a trial just for a brief period and has been disabled.

It was a bit of a surprise and, if it's going to stop the spam, I'm all for it.
More
14 years 6 months ago #32350 by Chris
SteveP,

The module added will request confirmation only once. After that, it will recognise your IP Address and allow you to post from it without requiring further confirmation.

While the module has proven useful as we haven't had any spam posts, it has created some problems with the dynamic security image, and as such new members are unable to register at this point :)

We are looking into this issue and a few more, but I believe the biggest of all (spam) has been dealt with.

We will also look at customising the screen to make it blend with our site, once the problems are rectified.

Thanks.

Chris Partsenidis.
Founder & Editor-in-Chief
www.Firewall.cx
More
14 years 6 months ago #32356 by talk2sp
Chris wrote :

SteveP,
The module added will request confirmation only once. After that, it will recognise your IP Address and allow you to post from it without requiring further confirmation

wow nice technology therein Chris. i figured it out too.

You guys doing gr8

Note:
Was there a downtime on firewall.cx @ around 10.30am (Nigerian time / London time). Why? because i tried opening firewall.cx and it did not open i pinged www.firewall.cx and it brought out a timeout. My internet connection is ok cos i was on my mail when it happened..
Look it up admin g33ks or is it a hickup in the server

CODE-3

BORN TO BE GREAT

c0de - 3
Take Responsibility! Don't let failures define you
More
14 years 6 months ago #32366 by ZiPPy
My buddy KiLLaBeE linked me this site a few weeks ago to verify if a site was down, or if it's just you. It's a pretty nifty tool(link) to add to your troubleshooting bag.

Link: downforeveryoneorjustme.com/

Run that next time a site is down to verify if it's indeed you or the server.

Cheers,

ZiPPy

ZiPPy
Time to create page: 0.154 seconds