Skip to main content

More categories?

More
16 years 3 months ago #24731 by skepticals
More categories? was created by skepticals
This is the only forum that I use and it's the only forum I have ever used; so I don't know how others do it, but I was wondering if it would be better to have more categories? Mainly for the topics discussed the most.

I'm thinking that if there were more categories, this site could be used for an information hub. Maybe I am thinking more of a Wiki? I'm think there is a great deal of information that gets repeated.
More
16 years 3 months ago #24737 by KiLLaBeE
Replied by KiLLaBeE on topic Re: More categories?
I'm not a fan of participating in 50 forums either.

Sometimes, it's about what direction the site moderators and site owner want to take. Examining the content, reading the moderators' bio's, and watching the forum grow, it would appear that initially, the site was brought up for the purpose of being a networking-related site......introducing other topics makes the forum too general and you lose the "specifics" of what the forum was created for -- "for networking professionals" as the logo states.

I do remember that the site had a minor revision a while ago where a Mac section was added (and other changes)....I haven't seen that much action in that section :-/

I don't see how adding more categories would reduce the number of repeated questions ...
More
16 years 3 months ago #24750 by DaLight
Replied by DaLight on topic Re: More categories?
I concur. Unless a specific topic keeps popping up which does not already fit in a pre-existing category, it would not make much sense to create new categories. We need to avoid having lots of categories with "single figure" post totals.

Obviously, as technology develops the category structure will be adapted in order for it to remain relevant.
More
16 years 3 months ago #24756 by Smurf
Replied by Smurf on topic Re: More categories?
I agree also, there is a little feature called "Search" that is an amazing tool :wink:

Wayne Murphy
Firewall.cx Team Member
www.firewall.cx

Now working for a Security Company called Sec-1 Ltd in the UK, for any
Penetration Testing work visit www.sec-1.com or PM me for details.
More
16 years 3 months ago #24761 by skepticals
Replied by skepticals on topic Re: More categories?
Search? Never heard of it.
More
16 years 3 months ago #24772 by KiLLaBeE
Replied by KiLLaBeE on topic Re: More categories?

I agree also, there is a little feature called "Search" that is an amazing tool :wink:

You mean that search feature that is hidden within the site in a link that looks identical to the others? :-P
Time to create page: 0.152 seconds