Skip to main content

VTP Doc's don't mention it is proprietary

More
18 years 1 month ago #13452 by drizzle
Well, the Cisco humor goes on. I am about to go live into production with my new switch. I decided to upgrade the IOS to the latest flavor because once this thing is in production, it isn't going to be touched (unless it croaks). So, I thought I would see if they had added GVRP support yet. Nope. I then searched the Cisco site for both GVRP and IOS. It is one of the funniest things I have found. 99% of all the search results are from the IOS Acronym listing. I guess they thought is was important enough to put in the IOS acronym list, but not add support for it.

... of course it has been supported in CatOS for at least the last couple years.

Here is their def:

GVRP is a GARP application that provides IEEE 802.1Q-compliant VLAN pruning and dynamic VLAN creation on 802.1Q trunk ports. With GVRP, the switch can exchange VLAN configuration information with other GVRP switches, prune unnecessary broadcast and unknown unicast traffic, and dynamically create and manage VLANs on switches connected through 802.1Q trunk ports.

Isn't Cisco moving away from CatOS?
More
18 years 1 month ago #13465 by jwj
That's been my impression, don't if that's official or not. I'm guessing you have a Supervisor 720 engine, which I don't think allows you to run it in hybrid mode, but if you have a lesser Sup engine, consider going with hybrid mode. It allows you to function with Cat OS for switching and IOS for the MSFC. Here's a bit of info on this feature .

-Jeremy-
Time to create page: 0.139 seconds