Skip to main content

VTP Doc's don't mention it is proprietary

More
18 years 2 months ago #13146 by drizzle
I just noticed an error in the VTP docs. Well, it is more of an ommision than an error. It just seems that since many of the other protocols like isl and 8021q mention whether they are standardized or proprietary, I think it should be pointed out that VTP is also a cisco proprietary protocol in the docs.

Thats all.
More
18 years 2 months ago #13151 by havohej
jajaja, yeah, its funny.

dont remeber when or where in the extremely infinite world of the internet I have read something about that "cisco can wait too much time for the ieee comitee to standarize the propietary protocols that first and only first cisco creates and send in the new devices"

:twisted:
More
18 years 2 months ago #13169 by drizzle
Well here is my favorite part. I am trying to implement a 6509 as my backbone switch. We have about 30-40 vlans. I really would have liked to use VTP but of course all the switches either Dell or HP. So, I have to use GVRP. Well that would be great except that CISCO doesn't support GVRP in IOS. I spent an hour on the phone with their tech support and all I got was a "GVRP will be implemented in a future IOS release."

It amazing. I have over 120 gigabit layer 3 switchports and I still can't even push out my vlan configs from a centralized location! Well... I could replace 30 x 48 port non-cisco switches with 30 cisco switches. That is what cisco says is the only solution. Or I just sit here and wait for them to add GVRP support to IOS.

I think my brain may explode.
More
18 years 2 months ago #13170 by Chris
...hmmmmm.... well I can assure you that you won't have to wait that long for the omission to be corrected !

Thanks for pointing that out Drizzle, and please... we don't want any explosions !

Cheers mate,

Chris Partsenidis.
Founder & Editor-in-Chief
www.Firewall.cx
More
18 years 2 months ago #13171 by jwj
Multiply that by about ten and that's what I deal with daily. I won't know what to do if I get to work in a single vendor (Cisco hopefully) network. Hopefully you won't have to add VLANs all too often, that's what makes my job decent. We probably only add a few VLANs a year, unless we get new projects like wifi or VOIP. Truthfully, you'll get used to doing everything by hand. I don't even think twice about it now. Best of luck.

-Jeremy-
More
18 years 2 months ago #13179 by drizzle
Maybe it would be nice to add a GVRP doc to the vlan section. Just a thought. I think most firewall.cx users would agree that the lab is more of a priority but I know when I didn't even know what a vlan was, those docs whipped me into shape and have been an invaluable tool.
Time to create page: 0.156 seconds