Skip to main content

VPN

More
20 years 2 months ago #2681 by goldensnake
VPN was created by goldensnake
Hi , i am having broadband connection using cable modem. We have 5 users are in the LAN and one router.

At first, the internet connection sometimes is a bit slow. The situation is improved ( connection is fast) when i establish VPN connection to my company . It means i can still surf net with better speed when establish the VPN connection .

Can anybody tell me what is the reason behind .

I do not understand why the internet connection is much more faster with the VPN connection.
More
20 years 2 months ago #2684 by Chris
Replied by Chris on topic Re: VPN
Goldsnake,

Seems like you have a very odd problem here and it really doesn't make any sence why establishing a VPN would make the Internet access go faster since they are two different services.

The only ideas that I can think of right now is that something else is happening in the background which is causing your Internet to seem faster.

I'll give you one example to help you kickstart the brainstorm process...if we assumed that your currently configured DNS server had problems or was the reason you had to wait a few extra seconds for the resolution to happen, and establishing the VPN gave you an alternative DNS server which you automatically used, then the resolution would happen a lot faster, which means you would connect and download the site's information a lot faster.

Because I have seen a lot of similar situations, I am quite certain something like the above (perhaps some other protocol/service) is the cause of your sluggish performance, and the VPN acts as an alternative provider for that problematic service, hence making the overall experience faster to you.

So how can you figure out what exactly is the problem? Very simply.... run a packet sniffer on one of your machines where the Internet suddenly becomes faster when the VPN is up, and access a site or two, watching all incoming and outgoing packets. Your bound to find your answer somewhere in there.

Let us know what your results are !

p.s You can also find a shareware version of the Iris packet sniffer in our downloads section.

Cheers

Chris Partsenidis.
Founder & Editor-in-Chief
www.Firewall.cx
More
20 years 2 months ago #2688 by sahirh
Replied by sahirh on topic Re: VPN
What I would also do is run a traceroute before you connect to the VPN and note the route taken. Then connect to the VPN and traceroute to the same site, see if there is somewhere along the line that you're taking a different route.

Doesn't make much sense though

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
More
20 years 2 months ago #2725 by goldensnake
Replied by goldensnake on topic Re: VPN
Chris, you are right. I have installed the sniffer program and it shows me the internet connection is faster if the VPN is established. Thanks a lot for information.

I have also tried trace route but the destination address for both VPN and without VPN show me the same route.
More
20 years 2 months ago #2727 by sahirh
Replied by sahirh on topic Re: VPN
Heya goldensnake, I didn't quite understand.. how did the sniffer show you that the VPN connection is faster ???

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
More
20 years 2 months ago #2735 by goldensnake
Replied by goldensnake on topic Re: VPN
SAHIH, watching all the incoming and outgoing packets.
Time to create page: 0.151 seconds