Skip to main content

Firewall Choice

More
20 years 4 months ago #1943 by RY
Firewall Choice was created by RY
I'm setting up a site to site VPN between 2 offices and would like some advice. The main office will have the server and firewall but the branch office will only have a firewall. We've got about 20 computers in the main office and 10 at the branch.

1. Some people advised to get an identical pair of firewalls, some say it doesn't matter. Who's right?

2. I'm looking at the Cisco PIX 501 and Netscreen 5 GT (formerly 5 XT). Any opinions or personal experiences with these 2 firewalls?

:?: Thanks.

RY
More
20 years 4 months ago #1946 by sahirh
Replied by sahirh on topic Re: Firewall Choice
The PIX 501 is a very good, very versatile firewall.. I've never used the Netscreen products before.

Remember, when it comes to networking, you can't go wrong with Cisco... I can't think of one bad product they make.

Cheers,

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
More
20 years 4 months ago #1968 by RY
Replied by RY on topic Re: Firewall Choice
Thanks. Really appreciate it. :lol:

Any comments on my query about identical firewalls or dissimilar firewalls is recommended between 2 points? Thanks.

Networking is really fascinating and I'm looking forward to setting up the network.

B. Rgds,
RY
More
20 years 4 months ago #1969 by tfs
Replied by tfs on topic Re: Firewall Choice
The problem would not be the firewall, but the VPN connection. If you set different firewalls up the same with the same security, they may (and should) work, but this is not guaranteed.

I have used 2 sonicwall firewalls together, with no problem, but when I connected a linksys firewall and tried to connect the VPN, there was a little problem until I got a beta upgrade that handled the sonicwall correctly.

If you use the same vendors, you always have a better chance to get good results. You also have only one vendor to deal with if there are any problems. If you have different vendors, you always have the problem of "it is always the other guys fault".

Thanks,

Tom
More
20 years 4 months ago #1974 by RY
Replied by RY on topic Re: Firewall Choice
Got it, thanks. I'm linking up the Cisco PIX 501 with a Linksys router BEFVP41. As Linksys is now part of Cisco, they should be able to work together. Anyway, I will be buying from the same vendor so they have to support me if there are any config problems.

One more question. I'll be running a Linux server. I read that the Linksysy does not support PPTP and L2TP. Will it work with a Windows server?

This is really a great site. I learnt more from here than talking to anyone. :D

Cheers,
RY
More
20 years 4 months ago #1981 by Dabogimp
Replied by Dabogimp on topic Re: Firewall Choice
i believe that the linksys router will work with any windows workstation / server. or at least i have never had any problems with it

I am so LEET guys dont listen to anyone else
Time to create page: 0.149 seconds