Skip to main content

IpCop and connection limit ?

More
18 years 5 months ago #12209 by stanyo
Hi all. I have ADSL modem(ZXDSL 831) and IpCop. The modem is blocking if the connections are more then 200 but my ICP refuze to change the modem. Is any method to limit connection with IpCop?
More
18 years 5 months ago #12270 by DaLight
This will need to be done in iptables. There are number of ways of restricting connections in iptables. These involve making use of the limit and iplimit matching extensions. The limit extension which comes bundled with iptables by default matches by looking at the number of connections created over a given period (sec, min, hr, day). "iplimit" actually limits the number of connections from a particular host or network, but it is not present in the default installation. I'm surprised you're using up so many connections. How many users have you got behind your IPCOP? Are you using peer to peer software? You can quite easily cut down on the number of long-term connections by using the built-in proxy server.
More
18 years 4 months ago #12336 by stanyo
Thank you DaLight. Users behind IPCOP are 8, but everyone is using peer to peer software. Which method is proper for me ?
More
18 years 4 months ago #12344 by DaLight
Eight users all using peer to peer software will easily consume more than 200 connections. I do think the 200 connection limit is a bit low. Why do you think the modem is the problem? How does the problem manifest itself? Is there an error message? How do you know the limit is 200 connections?
More
18 years 4 months ago #12358 by stanyo
Some time internet just stop, after rebooting of the modem everything is OK. This is happen 3-4 times for a day some times more. My ICP say that is manufacture problem of this modem. This problem is not only with me. All customers who using peer to peer software is the same.
More
18 years 4 months ago #12364 by DaLight
If you are not able to replace the modem, do you if know there are any firmware updates for it?

I think you may cause problems if you actually force your IPCOP to use such a low connection limit.

You could also try getting your users to lower the maximum connections setting in their peer to peer software settings.
Time to create page: 0.148 seconds