Skip to main content

remote connection over the internet

More
14 years 8 months ago #31497 by sose
please I need a detailed procedure of remote connection of the internet
More
14 years 8 months ago #31503 by Alans
could you provide more info? what kind of remote connections?
what is used for? others..

always Face your Fears...
More
14 years 8 months ago #31506 by sose
i mean xp in my office to xp in my house

different isp
I
am using a linksys router to share internet in my office

my home computer is browsing through a usb device provided by an isp
More
14 years 8 months ago #31507 by ZiPPy
Since you more than likely don't have a static IP you will need something like DynDNS.

www.dyndns.com/

After creating you account on DynDNS you will need to enter this information in your router. I'm not sure what firmware your running, but I believe the stock firmware should still give you this option for DynDNS and others of the like. I ran a DD-WRT firmware and it provided me with the DynDNS option.

Once you have the DynDNS setup you will then simply create a port forward to your RDP port. I recommend changing the RDP port from its default setting as this is one of the first ports scanned by hackers.

After the port forward is setup you will be able to enter you DynDNS domain name along with the port specified and you can now connect from anywhere around the world.

Remember to select the 'Allow users to connect remotely to this computer" option under System > Remote.

Cheers,

ZiPPy

ZiPPy
More
14 years 8 months ago #31509 by S0lo
I agree with ZiPPy, DynDNS (or the like) will provide you a fixed domain name whatever your dynamic IP was. And the port forward on your router will direct any traffic that's coming to the RDP port (default is 3389) to your home PC. It's a matter of few hours playing with your router GUI/config until you get it to work.

However, if you're not lucky enough that your router does NOT support DynDNS or a similar service, then tell us and we'll try to figure out something :roll:

Studying CCNP...

Ammar Muqaddas
Forum Moderator
www.firewall.cx
More
14 years 8 months ago #31515 by xit
if all else fails i had the same problem you can use the logmein server and depending on the package you want just download the correct package, this is a quick and painless way but if it is for comercial use it wont be a viable solution :)
Time to create page: 0.149 seconds