Skip to main content

Fiber.. the great mess

More
15 years 11 months ago #26379 by toddwoo
So we are using more and more fiber on the job. I'm finding it harder and harder to manage the stuff. We have InterDuct between the racks and term shelves. But in the racks I don't have a good solution for keeping it all neat and organized. Ethernet wire management won't do the trick... The so called "fiber tray" we got from cisco is a joke, which pains me... We have already had problems with jumpers being damaged from improper management.

Anyone have any suggestions?
More
15 years 11 months ago #26386 by jstretch
Replied by jstretch on topic Re: Fiber.. the great mess
Velcro. You can buy it in bulk spools relatively cheap, and cut ties to length. Plus you can reuse ties forever, and it doesn't create pinch-points in the fiber like zipties can. Roll up service loops per fiber pair, and stash them wherever it's convenient.
More
15 years 11 months ago #26387 by toddwoo
Replied by toddwoo on topic Re: Fiber.. the great mess
You are underestimating the amount of fiber we have per rack...

Another board mentioned Vertical Fiber Wrap management.. But I can't find it anywhere. I'm not sure thats exactly what its called.

Anyone else?
More
15 years 11 months ago #26419 by TheBishop
Assuming you don't need to access the fibres very often and are more concerned with keeping it safe and secure, then I'm with jstretch. Velcro ties every 6 inches or so, on both vertical and horizontal runs, gathering the fibres into sausages. Most of your velcro ties would be free with the occasional one here and there fixed to the rack to hold the whole thing in place. If you have unique labels at each end you could even trace fibres through without having to move them
More
15 years 11 months ago #26422 by toddwoo
Replied by toddwoo on topic Re: Fiber.. the great mess
nnbnbnnbnbOk so I have found a few different solutions that seem to have promise.

www.chatsworth.com/uploadedFiles/Files/12765_nps.pdf
and
www.apc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=AR8443

Variations on the same idea, but you can fit 2 on each side of the rack for a total of 4. And have several spools to take up the different lengths.

The Cisco ONS gear has something like this on it.. on a smaller scale. But i think it has promise.

T
More
15 years 11 months ago #26423 by Elohim
Replied by Elohim on topic Re: Fiber.. the great mess
nnbnbnnbnbHave you seen how much of a mess the 454s are with something like this on?

Ok so I have found a few different solutions that seem to have promise.

www.chatsworth.com/uploadedFiles/Files/12765_nps.pdf
and
www.apc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=AR8443

Variations on the same idea, but you can fit 2 on each side of the rack for a total of 4. And have several spools to take up the different lengths.

The Cisco ONS gear has something like this on it.. on a smaller scale. But i think it has promise.

T

Time to create page: 0.139 seconds