Skip to main content

New Cisco router installation: WAN int. can't see LAN int.

More
16 years 4 months ago #24470 by Baculus
I have a Cisco 2821 router which I recently setup for a corpirate environment. After initially configuring the router, I also installed a HWIC-D-9ESW LAN switching module. Everything in the installation went great, and I do not see any obvious issues with that phase of the device configuration - the router seems to detect the installed module, and its interfaces appear to be "Up."

The problem I have is that the WAN interfaces cannot communicate with the LAN interfaces on the module. I cannot ping from a workstation connected directly to the WAN interface (which is configured with a private 10.x.x.x address) to any devices or workstations connected to the on-board LAN module interfaces, and vice-versa.

Interestingly, if I take a straight CAT-5 from the WAN interface and connect it to a separate switch (not the switching module), then I can establish connectivity from the LAN to internal devices connected to the off-board switch.

I hope my description makes sense - I am still relatively new to Cisco devices, but I hope to improve my knowledge whenever possible!

Incidentally, I installed the router via an SDM wizard.

Any help would be appreciated in this matter.

~B.
More
16 years 4 months ago #24472 by hash29
Paste capture from CLI of this router following commands:
sh ver
sh run

--
Best regards
Piotr Madera
registered Linux user #357427
More
16 years 4 months ago #24474 by durk21
well it's probably somethign more along the lines of -this routers ROUTING PROTOCOLS aren't seeing the others.

Are you using the same protocol on both routers?

Do show IP ROUTE and see if you're routes are being advertised to the other router.

also DO #Show (the protocol) (AS#)
More
16 years 4 months ago #24475 by durk21
Also are you doing anythign with PPP encapsulation or FRAME RELAY?

if so

Did you use the correct type?
More
16 years 4 months ago #24476 by durk21

Incidentally, I installed the router via an SDM wizard.

You should ALMOST NEVER use SDM to configure a CISCO router! Basically it's just the VERY basic setup. If you're running more complex systems or connecting to a more complex system it will RARELY work.
More
16 years 4 months ago #24480 by Baculus
Thanks for the replies - I'll post up that information when I can. Also, no PPP encapsulation or FRAME RELAY.

I am thinking that I need to create a VLAN for the LAN interfaces as well.
Time to create page: 0.148 seconds